PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 TD and 24V Cummins weights.

matthew_fistler
05-03-2004, 10:04
I am trying to obtain some weights and sizes fro a 6.5 TD and a Cummins 24 v diesel. I have a 6.5 TD in my

rj
05-03-2004, 10:29
6.5 long block is approximately 550 lbs, not including pulleys, accessories, brackets, IP, etc.

Marty Lau
05-03-2004, 11:32
Matt;

Isn't your engine covered by the 120,000 warranty from GM?

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2004, 11:48
Engine is warrantied for 100K. The injection pump is warrantied for 120K.

If it bit the dust at 102K, it would be worthwhile to talk to a GOOD dealer about it. Some will go to bat for you if it's "close enough".

matthew_fistler
05-03-2004, 12:58
I tried the warranty route, all the dealers are more concerned about there pocketbooks or selling a new truck, other then trying to help someone out. I called the warranty company (GMPP) several times, only to have them explain that the warranty covers vehicles up to 100,000 miles and there are no exceptions.

I was hoping by taking the truck to a GM dealer, GMPP would fold and cover it under the GMPP warranty. So I hade the dealer diagnose the problem, the mechanic at the GM dealer, pulled the heads sent them out to a local machine shop. To my avail, there were cracks between the valves on both of the heads, with the driver

DmaxMaverick
05-03-2004, 17:15
Your mileage is close enough to prove that the problem was occuring long before the warranty expired.

Have had the truck in the shop in the past for any complaint? As long as you have a complaint on file that could have been related, proving your case isn't that difficult. Be loud and settle for no less than satisfaction. Try it at several dealers if you have to. All you really need is a service manager that agrees with you. His job is easy from there.

At any rate, force the new engine. If you get it, you can always do the swap later, and have a new 6.5L to sell. They are worth a lot more in good shape than scattered.

More Power
05-03-2004, 17:17
You can buy the 18:1's from either Peninsular of The Diesel Depot. The last time I checked, The Depot's price was $85 each with rings (two year old price).

If you can do the wrenching, and have access to a good engine rebuilding shop, you should be able to install 18:1's, new bearings, balancing, etc for less than 2K. Your heads are likely rebuildable, but read the head links in the Member's Area "reference section" first. It talks about the head cracks and an inexpensive repair.

A Montana member installed a DC in his 1994 K3500 about 18 months ago. He likes the power, but can't keep trannies in it (on his third NV4500). The conversion cost him 10K.

MP

LucasEnglish
05-03-2004, 20:14
I will be doing a 12v swap if my motor gives up. But I will keep the Chev tranny. Thay make adaptor kits for Cummins to 4L80E. The Doge AT are crap cost $3000+ to get a good one to hold the power. The MT are good but if you want fast like 1/4 mi times The AT is the only way to go. There is over 5 12v in my area runing 14s or faster. I have yet to see a 6.5 run faster than a 15sec.

matthew_fistler
05-04-2004, 05:26
Well after doing more research, I have several more questions.

With the Dodge conversion, without replacing the entire drive train I would have to figure out how to mate the 4l80e to dodge block. Are there any good sources out there for this information??

If I choose the 18:1 Peninsular route, granted rebuilding the engine should not prove to challenging as long as I get all the torque values and sequences, the only thing holding me up there is finding a decent machine shop to boar out the cylinders so they can accept the new pistons, and inspect the block. If anyone knows of a decent machine shop around Baltimore MD that has experience with diesels, that would be a great help, as all the machine shops I currently use do not want to mess with it.

Thanks for all of you help,

- Matt

JoeyD
05-04-2004, 05:32
I don't think the 18 to 1 pistons require a larger bore.

Marty Lau
05-04-2004, 07:26
Matt;

If it was mine and bucks are a concern, I would either take MP advice or just get new heads and top of the line head gasket and see what happens.

I believe JoeyD is right the 18-1 pistons are standard and oversize can be had, the compression difference is in piston design.

A question I have is can the oil pan be removed and the bottom end gotten too in frame? I think so but not sure???

More Power
05-04-2004, 11:17
A 4L80-E won't survive for long behind a performance Cummins. If you want to maintain the 4L80, you'll have to run near stock power levels, and even then, you'll need some special tweaks to get the tranny to survive. One major problem is the low rpm torque peak of the DC.

Jet Performance Transmissions offers computer programming and 4L80's built for a Dodge application. In addition, bellhousing converters are available for a variety of different manufacturer's transmissions. The 5.9L Cummins was designed, after all, for a variety of applications - across many manufacturer boundaries.

As mentioned earlier, the 1994 K3500 converted to a DC can't hold an NV4500 5-speed manual given the power that Dave is running. He's just installed his third one in 18 months. He wanted to install an NV5600 (currently used by Dodge) this last time, but being longer, it would cause a significant interference problem between the torsion bar crossmember and transfer case.

Or, buy a totaled 2001+ GM Duramax/Allison equipped truck. These go for $6500-8000. You'll have just about everything you need to make the conversion.

MP

matthew_fistler
05-04-2004, 13:27
I spoke with Matt out at Peninsular diesel today, I think I am going to rebuild my 6.5 with some Peninsular 18:1 pistons, and there engine mod control. This will give me a little more power while adding durability to the 6.5 by keeping it a tad but cooler. I have also lined up a set of heads for the 6.5.

So I am looking at around $1700 bux to rebuild the diesel, by going the Peninsular route.

I figure this way I can increase the power later on by adding a larger exhaust, turbo, and injectors.

- Matt

Keith Richards
05-04-2004, 18:49
Sounds like a good idea.If you went the cummins route you'd probably be spending way to much money on lots of different things to adapt it.I've heard of a few guys and they have all put solid axles under the cummins too.Much too heavy for GM IFS.Sorry to hear about such poor luck.

matthew_fistler
05-07-2004, 13:24
Well let the fun begin,

I just ordered the 18:1 pistons today, engine module and rings from Pennsiular Diesel today. I have a set of heads lined up, so it looks like I will be having some fun next weekend putting everything back together again.

Jim P
05-07-2004, 15:26
I would not spend the money on new 18:1 pistons without having the block bored. Your bores are almost certainly out of round somewhat and this will make it hard for your new rings to seal.

Any machine shop that bores gas engines should be able to bore your 6.5. They are very similar to boring a big block gasser. My local machine shop charges 125.00 to bore and hone a big block. You should also renew the wrist pin bushings. This requires pressing in new bushings and then having them honed to size.