PDA

View Full Version : mysterious oil leak on passenger side near bulkhead

Gym
10-09-2008, 16:42
Hey, I've got a hard to see/identify oil leak on the back side of cyl. 8 area. I've removed, cleaned, and re-installed the valve cover and I KNOW the leak is not coming from the valve cover. The oil migrates down the back side of the block and runs over the starter. Drips fairly consistant when parked for a short period of time. Does anyone have any ideas of what is back there that could be causing the leak?

rustyk
10-09-2008, 19:02
Possibly the CDR valve?

Hubert
10-09-2008, 19:41
Turbo oil return maybe?

oobee
10-10-2008, 02:24
Turbo oil return is front of the engine, not back!

Hubert
10-10-2008, 03:43
Yep but maybe it runs to back of engine then down. I have a weep of coolant from heater quick disconnect and it drips off back of engine.

I THINK there is a drain for the valley of the engine somewhere in the back so could be coming from anywhere in valley - oil pressure switch other valve cover etc?

Subzilla
10-10-2008, 06:48
I've had the exact same leak on my 6.2 Sub for a year and can not identify the source. It's not the valve cover or oil pressure sender. My CDR is on the front and I have no turbo. I've shined the light while twisting and contorting every way in order to get a good view but can not see the location. It's rustproofed the starter quite nicely and I'm a littly worried what it might do to the innerds. I'm planning to pull the engine in the near future to freshen it up before I throw on a turbo so I'll definitely find the culprit then. It's on my list.

Gym
10-10-2008, 11:03
Thanks guys for your input! I will keep looking! Don't hesitate to respond back if you figure something out. I'll keep my eye on this thread!

Robyn
10-10-2008, 18:50
The later engines have the OPS up in the valley and it could leak causing the situation.

Look down behind the intake manifold into the valley and see if the valley fllor is wet with oil.

The rear main would show a drip under the weep hole in the bell housing.

A leaky gasket on the IP where it bolts to the cover can also drain into the valley.

Generally a head gasket will not leak oil
There is no real sources for engine oil on the RH rear.

Best

Robyn

bobt
10-10-2008, 22:33
Are you sure it is oil? I had similar situation that I thought was oil. Turned out to be dirty fuel from a slight leak at the injection pump running back the valley, over the back and onto the starter. Just a thought.
Bob

Patrick m.
10-11-2008, 07:44
the engine valley drain is back there, i had a fuel filter housing leak that was draining in this area. WIth the engine running the flywheel was slinging the fluid to the right side and it would drip off of the area where the starter, bellhousing, flywheel cover all meet.
you can easily unbolt the fuel filter housing and move it to see the engine valley, then you can determine if your oil leak is in this area. You can see OPS, or the plug which ever yours has, you can also see the oil pump drive/ cam sensor which could leak in the area you describe.

Robyn
10-11-2008, 07:52
Now if it is fuel leaking from the filter housing, it will drain into the bellhousing as mentioned and mix with the usual crap thats there and then drip off on the ground.

The fuel managers can and do rot out at the lower end due to water that accumulates in the heater coil area.

Look into the valley and check this.

There are also two hoses down there too. One goes from the water drain on the manager to the cock up front
The second hose is the fuel feed to the IP.

Both these hoses can get hard and leak.

Stick you finger in that black drips on the ground and sniiiiiiiiiiiiif :eek: it and see if its laced with fuel.

If its smells like diesel then you need to look things over.

Best