PDA

View Full Version : noise when backing and wheel in a particular place

pushpole
10-09-2008, 14:07
When backing up and wheel turned to the right about 3/4 of a turn, I'm getting a low frequency grumble coming from the front end. If I move the wheel a little in either direction the noise goes away. I can repeat the symptoms on demand. I jacked up the front end and inspected but nothing was obvious. Any ideas or similar stories? Thanx!

Mark Rinker
10-11-2008, 17:54
Based the size of your tires listed in the profile, could they simple be rubbing on the inside of the fenderwell, where the rub mark isn't that noticable?

Backing up loads and distorts the inside shoulder of the tire opposite of the direction of the turn...does the 'grumble' move to the other side when you turn the other way?

pushpole
10-12-2008, 15:35
Thanx for the idea. I tried backing up and stopped the truck while it was grumbling I got out and looked at everything. There was plenty of clearance everywhere. I jacked the truck up without moving the front end and spun the tires. There was no great resistance but it might be different with the weight of the truck on the front end. I've had 285's on the truck for years and have not had this issue. I'm thinking may be one of the half shafts might be wearing and causing the noise when the wheel is turned at the "magic" angle. It only grumbles when turned to the right.....

jbplock
10-13-2008, 16:59
I'm thinking may be one of the half shafts might be wearing and causing the noise when the wheel is turned at the "magic" angle. It only grumbles when turned to the right.....

Agree .. I haven't had this problem with my truck but I've had CV joints go bad on a few front wheel drive cars that made noises when making slow turns.