PDA

View Full Version : boost

brian wafer
10-01-2008, 18:00
still trying to figure out why i lost boost, i have driven 3000miles since installing turbo,repaired a leaking frost plug in intake(where the pest pipes go ),that helped a bit. this week while checking under hood noticed oil under turbo on inner fender, pass my hand under turbo and it was wet with oil. bolts are lock ,is there a o ring or a gasket there! probably where i am losing boost.not leaking much but it should be dry.

john8662
10-13-2008, 20:31
Low boost, check all hose connetions, look for any connections or areas on the tubing where it may be oily.

The oil around the turbo is from blowby, because the turbo gets the oil sent through it from the CDR system, this occurs in the air cleaner housing.

The T04B turbo is supposed to have a large O-Ring that seals the compressor cover to the turbo backing plate, it this is missing you'd see oil, but I still think it would make boost.

A few large places for leaks on the Banks/ATS/BAE aftermarket turbo setups are usually in the tubing, or the intake manifold. You're right in that there needs to be plugs on the CDR vents into the intake, I like freeze plugs on both sides. If the nipples are still installed, you can take a piece of 1/2" heater hose and loop the two nipples together, that will close the circuit. Also check to make sure you've got the correct gasket between the upper intake plenum (thing that says "Sidewinder Turbo" or Banks 6.2 Turbo), if this is missing, broken, or the incorrect gasket, you'll have a good sized leak and see nada on the boost needle inside the cab with you.

Was this a new turbo system you installed or a used one revitalized onto your engine?

What about fuel, what pump, and what has been done to it to enable turbo usage?

A few pictures may help too.

brian wafer
10-28-2008, 04:12
the fuel pomp is from a 89 1ton,had it rebuilt too specification,banks ask for 1/4 turn or 15 minutes! i gave it about 12.5 minutes,scared off having too high pyrometer. the banks system was bought from a guy on gm diesel almost new ! he didn,t have the power he wanted.i got 2 freeze plugs in the intake no oil there or under the bonnet .was told over time oil would seep out where i have a leak. found the turbo was wet a few weeks ago thought it might be a problem! i didn,t have turbo apart . i am at sea level and the most i see is 5lbs. when i installed kit the original banks boost gauge didn,t work, but when testing it seems the turbo would whisle more an i had more seat off pants power, now i have a gauge and sence installed frost plugs much better. thanks for your responce . brian