PDA

View Full Version : Intercooler or 3.5" exhaust first?

jspringator
08-27-2004, 15:24
I have a Heath downpipe, a gutted cat, and straight pipe muffler. Should I invest now in a Kennedy 3.5 exhaust or save my pennies for an intercooler? My trailer weighs 9,000 lbs loaded.

Billman
08-27-2004, 15:28
It's a toss-up because you already have a modified exhaust. Not the best, but not stock either.

But with a 9k trailer, my vote is the Intercooler...The Big One.

rjschoolcraft
08-28-2004, 05:05
I agree, but I'd follow quickly with a better exhaust. I will probably go bigger in the near future.

john8662
08-30-2004, 09:55
I am in the process of installing a 4" exhaust system on my 6.5TD suburban. To answer your question, I would replace the rest of the exhaust. The downpipe is one source of major restriction, another spot is before the cat and muffler on suburbans. The pipe is smashed to accomodate the rear heater lines. The crimped spot for the heater line clearance doesn't look bad at all while installed, just wait till you take it off and look through it. I can see how my install is going to be a big difference in performance. Its taking awhile though because I am renewing the injectors and glows as well as pulling the intake to find a leak. I wish I had the $$ for the intercooler though, tough call, my vote rest of exhaust.