PDA

View Full Version : Who here would like.......

Randee of the Redwoods
01-19-2004, 18:16
A fully detailed, color photographed, breakdown manual(booklet, document) of the DS4 pump? I don't know if one exists or if it is cheap, but since I have 2 pumps here, I'm wanting to strip one down fully, photograph it, and make a breakdown booklet. I have no clue as to what this could be used for or even if it would be worth the time. My other pet projects, including the 300hp 6.5TD, are on hold for now, so I'm looking for another rainy day projects. I actually want to strip one down fully just to see what goes on inside to satisfy my own curiousity and I eventually will. I figured I could photograph hte process for any one interested in the internal make-up of the pump. I'm pretty much dithering right now since it's too cold outside to run my T-maxx.

rjschoolcraft
01-19-2004, 18:21
Randee,

Check out this site. (http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Show/3753/6_5_litre.htm)

gmctd
01-19-2004, 18:52
The nomenclature plate on those pumps should be
1st prod - black
2nd prod - black or silver with green tag
3rd prod - blue

Aluminum casting should have 1/4" heighth date code numbers for '94, '95, '96, '97, etc.

Paper label under nom tag would give exact date, as 5288 April 12 1997. 5288 is DB-4 pump type.

See what you have, compared to what is on the truck.
Possibility a later pump would have been replaced due to faulty FSD\PMD, with no defect in pump.

Randee of the Redwoods
01-20-2004, 14:59
Yea, I remember that site. Thanks for mentioning it as I had to reformat so I lost it. I just didn't know if there would be an interest in something more detailed.
It was just something to do so I'm not shattered. Leaves for time for the 300hp project.

pannhead
01-21-2004, 17:36
i wonder if that mesh filter screen on the inlet nipple could be a problem place that people were not aware of :confused: ...its news to me :eek: ...i thought the mesh screen in the fuel filter housing was the "last line of defense"....goes to show you learn something new everyday...that's why we're all here....good stuff,good link smile.gif

tom.mcinerney
01-21-2004, 17:50
Pannhead--After UCalDavis mentioned this filter in a post two months ago, i removed mine[there's an oring seal, reused; tough to get grip on hex without removing shutoff solenoid]. I suspended the thing in a cup of diesel fuel, shook; got about 50 small grains of 'sand' out ....The screened inlet, while small, has enough surface area to resist clogging somewhat.

morgan
01-22-2004, 14:19
Is removing the inlet nipple just that simple? I'd like to check the filter out on mine too. Any danger of an airlock situation while removing or reinstalling it?

thanks