PDA

View Full Version : Injector Control box

Mark-
09-23-2008, 15:26
Well, my 04.5 LLY died yesterday and went into limp mode. Ended up getting a new Injector control box under extended warranty. This makes 2 injector harness repairs and now the control. Any else having problems with their control box.

86505 miles

Duramaster
09-25-2008, 06:33
Ficm replacement is rare. The wiring issue is not. The harness brakes at the #2 and #7 injector which there is an update harness kit for that. the harness chafes at the FICM bracket, at the main engine connectors (2) and where the harness crosses over the EGR valve/ cooler assembly. These are the most common chafes. There could be others out there if someone wishes to share their experience, that would be great because that would help me out in my daily repairs. ;) :D

More Power
10-06-2008, 14:44
Thanks DM...

Since the 90's, I've encouraged people to spend 10 minutes or more going over the top of the engine, looking for areas where a wiring harness, vacuum hose (6.5L diesels) or a fuel line might be rubbing on a sharp edge or other engine component that could wear through over time. This is especially important whenever a service procedure has been performed on the engine that involved removing and replacing parts. Sometimes, the harnesses and hoses aren't always re-installed in ways that produce longevity in a repair - or eventually result in a problem with some other system.

Jim

Mark-
10-06-2008, 17:37
Just an update. So the day after my FICM was replaced, I got 39 miles down the road and it went back into limp mode. Same codes too. So towed back to the same dealer and more diagnostics and lo and behold they replaced the #3 injector wiring with a repair kit and now a week later my truck is still running fine. So although the service writer won't admit it, I apparently got a new FICM to replace a perfectly good used one from my truck and now I have new injector connectors on #2, 7, & 3.

Long live my LLY

Duramaster
10-07-2008, 05:53
I forgot to mention the repair kit for the other injectors (1,3,5,4,6,8). I haven't seen one of those fail yet. The most common is the #2 and #7 injector connector failure on the LLY. :rolleyes: