PDA

View Full Version : Removing the Resonator

D_R_C
09-21-2008, 09:41
Is there any advantage by removing the Resonator on a LMM ??
Could removing eventually cause issues ??
I read what the purpose is, but what is the function where does the 2" inlet go to ??
I`m thinking GM has it on for a functioning purpose, besides the turbo just being quieter.

More Power
09-21-2008, 16:15
The intake resonator is there to make the intake side of the engine more quiet. Removing it shouldn't cause any problems except for possibly more intake noise. The LB7's didn't have one, but the newer Garrett VNT turbo might produce sounds differently.

The 2" portion of the resonator is dead-ended. The system is "tuned" to the harmonic frequencies of the intake sound in such a way that it cancels out the sound.

Jim

D_R_C
09-22-2008, 08:05
The intake resonator is there to make the intake side of the engine more quiet. Removing it shouldn't cause any problems except for possibly more intake noise. The LB7's didn't have one, but the newer Garrett VNT turbo might produce sounds differently.

The 2" portion of the resonator is dead-ended. The system is "tuned" to the harmonic frequencies of the intake sound in such a way that it cancels out the sound.

Jim

Jim,
Thank you for the info,I thought this might be the case.
Most LMM owners that have suggested removing the resonator "think" that it takes away from H.P. and is most cases they crack and let dirt into the turbo air intake.
I felt this was a little hard to believe that the resonator also provided air flow "into" the turbo intake.
Just another myth looking for H.P.

D_R_C
09-30-2008, 12:29

Jim

I found this out removing the resonator to do a PCV re-route which includes capping of the pcv inlet to the turbo and venting from the valve covers to separators and recapture.
Actually the 2" portion is NOT dead-ended,it is open to the turbo intake and the resonator was coated inside with oil.
So if by chance the plastic resonator was to crack it would suck dirt in damaging the engine.