PDA

View Full Version : High Miles?

TJNE
09-16-2008, 12:53
I'm looking for a 2006 Duramax, where is the cut off for High millage vs Average milage? Is it the same as gassers, 10-12K a year?

More Power
09-16-2008, 13:22
The diesel powertrains in today's trucks usually outlive an owner's desire to own the truck. Once past 100,000-150,000 miles, you should expect some service work on the truck (not necessarily the powertrain) - for things like door hinges, alternator, A/C system, PS pump, steering & suspension components, brakes, shocks, etc. However, a lot of these trucks rarely leave the pavement and see regular maintenance, which extends the life for all of these components.

When looking to buy, I'd pay more attention to the overall condition of a used truck, and worry less about the powertrain if a test drive turns out fine.

Jim

rustyk
09-16-2008, 19:02
I agree with MorePower. With the Duramax, I'd be more concerned with low mileage than high mileage. Diesels suffer virtually no wear when running at operating temp. The DuraMax is probably a 500K engine - if it's driven. Suburban driving (soccer mom) is awful. If it soesn't have at least 15K/yr., I'd look elsewhere.

My Ford 1-ton van has the IH 6.9L NA diesel in it, and it's a legitimate 400K mile engine. I make myself run miles on it, so I can run more miles on it.

DarylB
09-24-2008, 10:58
wish I could pm you, I've got a truck you might be interested in

Mark Rinker
09-25-2008, 05:57
Check out the mileages listed below. My 2002 has 285K and is headed out this week for a 3,000 jaunt to deliver two boats. Runs as strong today as it did when I bought it - at 130K miles.

Look for maintenance history, run VIN at local dealer to get warranty items detailed. Try to buy one that hasn't been abused or towed too heavy (huge livestock trailers, construction gooseneck trailers, etc) or one that wasn't driven at all.

Most people that buy a diesel take care of it. Its an investment.