PDA

View Full Version : 5500 brake light/chime warning

Greenlawn Racing
09-06-2008, 10:14
We are in Hastings, NE for a motorcycle race in an RV equipped with a Duramax.
As we were backing into our spot, the brake warning light came on as well as the chimes.
Any idea what it could be? It appears that there is pressure on the air tank, and the master cylinder has plenty of fluid.

Duramaster
09-06-2008, 10:30
You might have a brake switch failure which will require a minor circuit rewire behind the fuse panel as well as replacing the brake switch. If you can't get into a dealer, replacing the brakes switch alone would be a temporary repair. Of course this is "INTERNET" diagnostics. Nothing beats being able to actually hook up the scan tool So that I can actually perform the diagnostic. Good luck. :)

Greenlawn Racing
09-06-2008, 10:36
You might have a brake switch failure which will require a minor circuit rewire behind the fuse panel as well as replacing the brake switch. If you can't get into a dealer, replacing the brakes switch alone would be a temporary repair. Of course this is "INTERNET" diagnostics. Nothing beats being able to actually hook up the scan tool So that I can actually perform the diagnostic. Good luck. :)

Can you elaborate a little on the process to replace the brake switch? Is this something we can get at a local auto parts store?

Can it be driven with this light on until we get home? If so, any way to silence the chimes?

When you reference the scan tool - do you mean just a regular ODB II scanner?

Duramaster
09-06-2008, 12:51
Do you have a private E-Mail so that I can send the document to you. This website won't allow me to cut and paste to the forum. The document goes into details about the repair. :)

Duramaster
09-06-2008, 13:14
Anyway, your brake lights may not be working. There may be a C0164, C0272 set. Yes you need a scan tool (GM TECH2) works the best. I cannot speak for the aftermarket. If these are the codes set, It is because "Current flow through the stop lamp switch contacts is insufficient to allow the contacts to operate cleanly." At the least, replace the stoplamp switch and clear the codes. If no scanner available, You might be able to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes and then reconnect and recheck. I fht ealarm still chimes, disconnect the left front door speaker. The chime is played through the speaker (that is if the vehicle still has the factory radio in it) Otherwise, there must be an alarm module somewhere under the dash to unplug for temporary purposes only. Good luck. The switch should be available at any GMC/ Chev medium duty dealer or maybe even your locaol NAPA auto parts. ;)

Greenlawn Racing
09-10-2008, 18:43
Yep - rich.wu@sbcglobal.net

So.....can I scan it with my regular Actron ODB II scanner (model 9175 I think), or do I need a GM specific one?

Thanks!

Rich