PDA

View Full Version : 1982 6.2L parts list

Gearstix
08-23-2008, 18:51
I've asked on a few forums and haven't really gotten a clear answer.
I'm most likely getting a '82 6.2.
Its a longblock, so it comes with block, rotating assembly, and cylinder heads.
(As far as I know, might come with a bit more)
I'm trying to find out, what I need to buy to make the engine complete.

I'll need stuff like injectors, glow plugs, intake manifold, exhaust manifolds, valve covers, etc.
What do I need?

Should I buy each part individually, or just go to a junk yard, and buy everthing but the longblock?

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2008, 22:00
You're better off buying (or otherwise acquiring) a wrecked or worn out truck with a similar powertrain. Without knowing exactly what you have in hand, it isn't possible to tell you what you'll need. All of what you get may or may not be usable. If you have to get everything but the long block, consider a later model accessory package, with serpentine drive (91-93). Much more simple and reliable in the long run (and a lot easier to set up initially). I don't suggest getting injectors or an injection pump from a wrecking yard, unless you need them for cores. If they're in the yard, they're probably already worn out. Glow plugs should always be new, but manifolds and valve covers will be fine if they aren't damaged/cracked.

Just do what the rest of us have done so many times. Keep a running list of what you have, and we can help you with what you need to get. You have to start somewhere, and a good longblock is a pretty good leap. You won't likely get it all at one time, and some things may not be serviceable (you won't find out until you try to use it). Take your time and do it right. It's cheaper that way.

Gearstix
08-23-2008, 22:29
Well, I'm getting the engine from a member on here. He said he'd take it apart and check it out before he ships it to me.
He may have some parts to spare me aswell, I'm just waiting for him to let me know.