PDA

View Full Version : need a better starter

mrgoodwrench
08-21-2008, 17:39
Does anyone know if the newer 6.5L starter, gear reduction style, will fit in an 86 K-10 6.2L with an SM465?

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2008, 17:59
Welcome aboard!

It will fit, and it will work. You will need the correct front support bracket for it. It's been my experience the gear reduction starters are less "powerful" than the direct drive boat anchors, but are easier to install, and are less harsh on the mounts. This due to the weight. If you are looking for a starting quality improvement, "upgrading" to a gear reduction starter ain't it. If it's cranking slow, it's usually the electrical system. Grounds, battery terminals, or connections in general. Or, the starter is just tired. The best starters are the Delco reman's, or a Delco rebuilt locally.

mrgoodwrench
08-21-2008, 19:22
Thanks for the info. My batteries, cables, etc. are all in really good shape. This starter burned up because of a fuel leak i havent fixed yet. My bad there. The truck doesnt get driven much(10000mi annual) and the pmgr starters seem to last longer than the old style.

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2008, 19:31
I don't know about them lasting longer. I've had bad experience with aftermarket brands, but the Delco starters seemed to last plenty long. I've replaced many of them, but after many miles and starts. I've not bought an over-the-counter starter in years. I have them rebuilt locally, which is much less expensive. Usually, it's only a good cleanup, brushes and bearings. Very cheap, in comparison to the retail price for a reman/rebuilt. The only drawback I've found is the weight. They are heavy, no doubt.

mrgoodwrench
08-21-2008, 19:42
I will probably put an OE back in at some time but a friend of mine has a 6.5 starter that he will give me for now. Cant say no to free if it will work. Unfortunatly the nearest rebuilder is 100+ miles away but there is a GM dealer here in town.

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2008, 19:53
Nothing wrong with that. I'd do it. Be sure to use the correct support bracket. They are not interchangeable.

mrgoodwrench
09-01-2008, 20:54
sorry for not responding right away. been outta town. i ordered the 6.5 bracket last week. hopefully one for a 96 will work. that is what the starter came out of.

john8662
09-01-2008, 22:36
Don't manual tranny starters have a different cone than the auto tranny versions?

Seems like I've seen this.

I have never had any GM diesel with a stick shift behind it (thank god), so I haven't actually had any experience with 'em.

Just thought I'd ask the question, or bring to attention, maybe I'll learn something.

J

76m880
09-02-2008, 07:26
i have a ebay 6.5 gear reduction start and it has been working great for a few months

DmaxMaverick
09-02-2008, 11:24
Don't manual tranny starters have a different cone than the auto tranny versions?

Seems like I've seen this.

I have never had any GM diesel with a stick shift behind it (thank god), so I haven't actually had any experience with 'em.

Just thought I'd ask the question, or bring to attention, maybe I'll learn something.

J

Good question. I've mixed/matched the DD starters/trannies and never gave it a thought, and never had issues. The GR starters may be different, but I've not heard of any tranny specific app's.

76m880
09-02-2008, 12:14
i have an automatic trans gear reduction starter on my m882 without a problem

mrgoodwrench
10-21-2008, 20:58
sorry i havent posted, computer hard drive crash. the auto tranny starter and manual tranny starter on gas engines have different nose cones but as far as i can tell the diesel starter doesnt matter. on a side note would i get in trouble asking about propane now or should i start a new thread?

DmaxMaverick
10-21-2008, 21:27
sorry i havent posted, computer hard drive crash. the auto tranny starter and manual tranny starter on gas engines have different nose cones but as far as i can tell the diesel starter doesnt matter. on a side note would i get in trouble asking about propane now or should i start a new thread?

Looks like your starter questions have been answered in this thread.

As far as the propane goes, start another thread. But, unless you have more air available than your current fueling can use, it's a lost cause. If you are making any black smoke, you don't have enough air for the fuel you are already throwing at it. Adding propane will displace air.

mrgoodwrench
10-21-2008, 21:36
thanks for the tip about propane. my question has definitely been answered. i got the starter and correct bracket put in as well as fixing my fuel leak. my truck starts really well now, even in near freezing tempuratures without the block heater (forgot to plug it in). my thanks for the help.