PDA

View Full Version : Fix my toy

southerngrl
08-19-2008, 08:34
Im looking at buying a 6.2 diesel chevy but the guy im buying it from says " if you pour diesel on the pistons it will run" am I getting screwed? How bad is this??? The truck is between 82 an 86 chev I think. Help me

DmaxMaverick
08-19-2008, 09:00
Welcome aboard, Southerngrl.

It may be a good deal, but will likely be a money pit and a nightmare right out of the gate. If you have to "pour Diesel on the pistons" to get it started, it has issues. Most of the issues on an otherwise healthy engine/vehicle are simple, but require time under the hood (a lot or a little). The seller's statement should give you some idea of the maintenance history. Starting issues are generally easy to diagnose and fix, but can be related to other more serious underlying problems. Not the least of which is an overhaul needed. I would have to see the results of a compression, cooling system, and fuel system tests before assuming the engine is assumed serviceable.

If it requires special attention just to get it started, that should be a pretty clear indicator. I'd stay away from this one. There are a lot of good deals on good trucks out there. Keep looking.

southerngrl
08-19-2008, 09:23
thanks.. its hard to walk away... its so nice but yah if its gonna cost a fortune to keep it nice then I have no chocie.

76m880
08-19-2008, 11:07
yea i got 1989 Gmc V2500 suburban with a 6.5 TD for $500 so there are good deals out there