PDA

View Full Version : Positive wire from the underhood block to the trailer plug

chrisgrier
08-13-2008, 11:26
I would like for someone help me find out the route that the brown wire that comes from the hood fuse block and ends up at the trailer plug takes.

Please.
CHris

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2008, 11:53
Are you chasing a problem, or wiring a project? What year and model vehicle? The physical route varies slightly from year to year.

The brown wire is running lights (marker, parking, etc). There may also be a brn/wht wire paired with this circuit, depending on the year/model. The harness runs along the driver side (LH) frame rail and terminates above/rear of the spare tire. If you have the "camper wiring option", it will also have a leg that terminates above the frame rail between the front of the bed and rear wheel well. Both, the rear and mid junction terminals have connectors, for the camper option harness, and rear (regular) trailer wiring option. There is no OEM interruption between the underhood junction box and the terminals. The trailer wire harness is independent of the vehicle lamp wiring, and they have separate fused circuits. In any case, you can trace the harness forward from the rear trailer harness, and it will lead you to the underhood junction box.

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2008, 11:59
Also, if you are looking for the batt+ wire (trailer charge circuit), it is red, not brown.

chrisgrier
08-13-2008, 12:17
I want to put an amp meter to see what the rv is pulling from the truck

DmaxMaverick
08-13-2008, 12:41
For temporary access, I'd use the trailer charge fuse stud in the underhood fusebox. For a permanent wiring, I'd splice into the trailer charge circuit output at the fusebox. If you are using a hand-held meter, you'll have to open the harness loom and separate the red trailer charge wire, anywhere between the junction box and trailer.