PDA

View Full Version : Starter support brackets

BigGun J
08-07-2008, 19:08
I have the 6.2/6.5 toubleshooting guide. I ordered the two support brackets, bolts and shield. The wishbone shaped bracket is the correct size and shape to support the back (not flywheel end) of the starter. I do not see how the other bracket can mount to support the front (flywheel side) of the starter? I have a 6.2

Thanks, Jim

85-m1028
08-08-2008, 16:14
should only be one? bolts to the block and hangs the rear of the starter.

bleucrew6.2
08-15-2008, 14:57
Jim, what year is your truck? I changed out the starter on my '89 6.2 last year. I don't know what the truck wished for (a new starter?) but that wishbone shaped support bracket was broken in two. I noticed that the new one that I got at the dealer, $$$, had a larger radius to help eliminate the stress crack that happened to the origional bracket. Sounds like you have the right bracket for the job. I'm wondering if there was an earlier style- or a later style, than what fits your truck and mine as well.

John

BigGun J
08-15-2008, 20:25
I am putting the motor in my 1985 Toyota Landcruiser FJ60. I just ordered all three items from the part numbers I got out of the troubleshoot guide. The shield and wishbone work. The other will go in the odd bracket drawer for future use.

Jim

More Power
08-15-2008, 21:17
I have the 6.2/6.5 toubleshooting guide. I ordered the two support brackets, bolts and shield. The wishbone shaped bracket is the correct size and shape to support the back (not flywheel end) of the starter. I do not see how the other bracket can mount to support the front (flywheel side) of the starter? I have a 6.2

Thanks, Jim

The longer of the two brackets are for the direct-drive 6.2L starter. The shorter/flatter bracket is for the 6.5 (or late 6.2) gear-drive starter. So, the right bracket depends on what type of starter you're using. :)

Jim

Liftgate
02-10-2013, 15:55
I just swaped out my direct drive starter for a gear reduction one and found out the end support bracket didn't line up. I guess there are 2 different kinds. Does anyone know what the part number for the gear reduction starter support bracket is? Any help is appreciated. :)

More Power
02-10-2013, 17:04
I just swaped out my direct drive starter for a gear reduction one and found out the end support bracket didn't line up. I guess there are 2 different kinds. Does anyone know what the part number for the gear reduction starter support bracket is? Any help is appreciated. :)

Gear reduction starter support bracket PN-23502557

Jim

Liftgate
02-11-2013, 16:27
Thanks. I got one from the local bone yard today and installed it. Now I don't have to worry about broken starter bolts. The engine cranks a lot faster with the different starter. What a difference. Thanks again.:)