PDA

View Full Version : New injectors covered by GM

Fr8Pilot
08-02-2008, 21:16
Good news! You might remember my earlier post regarding the catastrophic fuel injection pump failure. I replaced the pump myself and everything was great except for the regular code P0093 set on acceleration to highway/freeway speeds resulting in limp mode.

Took it in to dealer and informed them of new pump installation (thanks Jake99Z71) and conditions that set DTC. They attached Tech2 tool and commanded pressure to 160 MPA but actual only climbed to 78.5 MPA indicating high fuel return rates. Wonder if this had anything to do with premature pump failure? Injector balance all within specification. Truck only had 89,000 miles but was out of time by two months for the 7 year/200K mile injector warranty. I was bummed but called GM customer support anyway as I had nothing to lose. After being assigned a case number and speaking to several people, each one higher in rank than the last, they informed me that GM would in fact cover the injector replacement. All but a $100 deductible. Truck is now out of the dealer and runs like it did when new. I hadn't realized how much power it had lost with the bad injectors as it happened so gradually.

They did find a trace of fuel in the oil but nothing that one could notice. The truck did have a fuel knock under acceleration and was down on power but I didn't notice this until driving it with new injectors installed. It had no smoke or smell in the exhaust and engine ran as smooth as it did when new. Sometimes bad injector symptoms aren't as clear-cut and easy to diagnose. Thanks to Mitch at Smith Chevrolet in Idaho Falls. Their service was far better than I expected. GM has kept a loyal customer.

Mark Rinker
08-03-2008, 07:29
Thanks for sharing this. I think GM has been incredible with injector warranty coverage on the entire Duramax family - especially considering the economic times and losses they have posted recently.

Hope they can keep it up.