PDA

View Full Version : easiest oil pan removal

DamienJ
10-19-2003, 11:08
I'd like to pull my oil pan to put new sealant on it since it is leaking, a little. I was wondering if anyone has don't it without jacking the engine up or anything besides unbolting the oil pan bolts. I like to know the easiest, quickest way.
Thanks
Damien

LanduytG
10-19-2003, 12:17
Is it a 2 or 4 wheel drive.
Greg

DamienJ
10-20-2003, 12:22
It is a four wheel drive.

britannic
10-20-2003, 13:21
I have a military CUCV M1028 (like a circa 1985 K30), I'm not sure how similar this is to the later trucks. The M1028 has a Dana 60 upfront with 33" tires. I was able to remove the oil pan without jacking up the engine or the truck.

You'll need to remove the bellhousing dust cover, make sure that the transmission cooler lines and battery cable aren't in the way and ensure you have the tools to reach the various bolts - some are in hard to get to places.

I used a Craftsman ratchet wrench on the bolts behind the harmonic balancer and above the cross member.

I had to ease the pan out backwards. Installation is somewhat harder, since you're trying to avoid scraping RTV off. The first time, I didn't notice that the battery cable had scraped some RTV off on one side and boy, did it leak! The second time, I knew what I was looking out for and it's fine now.

charliepeterson
10-20-2003, 18:56
The front axle was in the way when I did mine. It's only about six bolts and rolled it forward just enough to clear everything. The job took a few hours for a ten dollar gasket. The pan doesn't leak now though. The center pin in the drivers side motor mount came out too along with a small amount of lifting.

Bruce Ostien
04-03-2004, 12:14
Help!

99' 4x4 Surban, Automatic

I'm attempting to remove my oil pan to check for a cracked block, add a return line fitting for by-pass filtration & add stud girdle kit. Thought I could get the oil pan out by removing the torque converter cover. The exhaust cross over pipe had to be removed in order to remove torque converter cover. Broke 4 of the 6 bolts off in manififolds:mad:. Got the torque converter cover off but oil pan is now hitting the starter ring gear / fly wheel. It looks like I need to remove either the transmission or the front axle. Any recommendations on which way to go?

Is the cross over pipe usually replaced with a mandral bent one when up-grading the exhaust?