PDA

View Full Version : 06 Air filter in an 02

kaylabryn
07-31-2008, 13:09
I tried doing a search and didn't find much info. Can an 06 air filter box fit on an 02? I am asuming yes with maybe minor changes, but want to make sure before I find and get an 06 box.

Thanks Mike

Heartbeat Hauler
07-31-2008, 16:50
The only issue might be the MAF sensor location or application. I have never seen an 06 air box, but I know when buying a new MAF sensor for my '01 they are lsited '01-'05 so the 06 must be different and therefore a different setup...maybe.

JP

Mark Rinker
08-01-2008, 04:09
Keep us posted on your progress. It would be interesting to retrofit the 2002 with an '06 box, if possible. The filters appear to be far superior from a longevity/surface area point of view. As for restriction, I'm not certain.

They are easier in and out as well, I find myself checking the '06 more frequently between replacements and knocking out the debris more often. Its amazing the amount of fine road sand/grit they will collect, and release if gently tapped downwards on a hard surface 30 or 40 times...

jbplock
08-01-2008, 11:00
TSB 06-06-04-036 (Doc# 1850306),Overheating While Towing- Install 2006 Air Cleaner describes installation of a 2006 LBZ air cleaner assembly on MY2004-2005 LLY’s to correct overheating and/or hot-running when towing inclines high in high ambient temperatures. The procedure involves cutting the air cleaner outlet duct. I believe 01-05 trucks use the same style air filter so this TSB would imply it’s possible to retrofit an 01 with an LBZ filter. ??

Kennedy
08-02-2008, 06:53
Physical fitment is no problem, but like the LLY retrofit, the MAF readings need to be rescaled to match the new flow characteristics. Not sure how "off" it would be, but it shouldn't be all too difficult.

Mark Rinker
08-02-2008, 10:47
JK do you have any data on flow characteristics of the new '06 design OEM filter, compared to the old design, old OEM filter? The surface area must be 5x greater.

DmaxMaverick
08-02-2008, 17:31
It isn't so much the "volume" of air, but the volume of air the MAF sees, and how it it is registered. The ductings have different airflow characteristics, not so much in the way of more or less volume. Calibration of the MAF would involve [probably] twisting it in its location, relocating it, or changing the in/output values (should be possible by PCM programming, or installing (or replacing) a resistor).

Mark Rinker
08-03-2008, 07:24
The first time I laid hands on one of the new '06 filters, I envisioned some GM engineer hunched over his CAD/CAM workstation, muttering...

"Chase this, aftermarket knock-offs"... :D Not an inexpensive size or design to duplicate.

hapaschold
08-03-2008, 15:09
The first time I laid hands on one of the new '06 filters, I envisioned some GM engineer hunched over his CAD/CAM workstation, muttering...

"Chase this, aftermarket knock-offs"... :D Not an inexpensive size or design to duplicate.

i get my replacements from carquest auto store, same exact filter with same name and # s on it, but in a carquest box and a fraction of the price. it does catch alot, changed mine at 10k....2 x s now...

Mark Rinker
08-03-2008, 18:58
I was thinking more about the K&N style oiled gauze knockoffs made for the OEM housing. Not cheap/possible to produce the '06 and newer style in an oiled gauze knockoff.

Has anyone come out with one yet - that is washable and re-oilable?