PDA

View Full Version : Manifold Cover Torque Settings?

kulwap
08-25-2004, 20:26
While trying to get a look at my injector pump and PMD, I removed the intake manifold cover and I didn't check what torque it took to break the bolts loose. When I went to reinstall the cover, there was no torque spec listed in my Haynes Diesel Repair Manual. I didn't see one here either. Anyone know what it is???

CareyWeber
08-25-2004, 20:42
Originally posted by :
While trying to get a look at my injector pump and PMD, I removed the intake manifold cover and I didn't check what torque it took to break the bolts loose. When I went to reinstall the cover, there was no torque spec listed in my Haynes Diesel Repair Manual. I didn't see one here either. Anyone know what it is??? kulwap,

It means don't put it back on thats one the best this to do your 6.5. ;)

Carey

Spindrift
08-26-2004, 04:15
Do you mean the "Turbo Power" cover, or the intake manifold? If Turbo Power cover...just as Carey describes. If intake manifold, 25 ft. lbs., IIRC.

kulwap
08-26-2004, 13:30
Not the plastic "Turbo power" cover, but the piece that is flat with six bolts and the round inlet for the turbo. It is not the intake manifold but more like the turbo manifold... Sorry for the confusion.

TurboDiverArt
08-26-2004, 17:20
Originally posted by kulwap:
Not the plastic "Turbo power" cover, but the piece that is flat with six bolts and the round inlet for the turbo. It is not the intake manifold but more like the turbo manifold... Sorry for the confusion. That's the upper manifold. Aluminum torque specs are typically 13-25 ft/lbs. I think I went 20. It's not all that critical.

Art.

More Power
08-26-2004, 17:28
The bolt torque specs can be found in the Member's Area Reference Section. Here's a direct link:

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/torque.htm

MP

kulwap
08-26-2004, 21:50
I tightened it up to 20 ft/lbs as a guess, knowing that it is aluminum, but wasn't sure so I thought I would ask. I had looked at the torque specs on thedieselpage.com before I first posted, but didn't see what I wanted. Even with the few posts here there is no clear consensus on what to call it, and I didn't see something I thought applied.

Thanks for the help, the new PMD and Heath cooler arrives tomorrow so I need to get it up and running again for my wife to run the kids around.

JohnC
08-27-2004, 08:02
I removed the intake manifold cover and I didn't check what torque it took to break the bolts loose.Carefull! The torque necessary to break a fastener loose is always higher than the torque applied to tighten it, and has no direct relationship to the correct torque for installing the fastener. Heat cycles, corrosion, surface characteristics, locking compounds and devices and the like throw too many variables into the equation.

Cooperrw
08-28-2004, 03:37
I am looking in my manual and it says to torque the upper intake manifold to intake manifold at 17 lb. ft.

kulwap
08-28-2004, 12:35
Originally posted by JohnC:
Carefull! The torque necessary to break a fastener loose is always higher than the torque applied to tighten it, and has no direct relationship to the correct torque for installing the fastener. I do understand that, but when you don't have a spec for it you have to do something!

Thanks for all the help. I got a new FSD and cooler from Heath Diesel and installed it yesterday. What a difference!

[ 08-29-2004, 10:59 AM: Message edited by: kulwap ]

damork
08-29-2004, 18:19
A general rule in most torque charts when threads are in aluminum is to go with 50% of the torque of what comparable steel listings would be.