PDA

View Full Version : No downhill engine braking

atmdoc
07-21-2008, 19:47
Going downhill, I shifted to 2nd gear and noticed the Sub was not slowing down and the rpms droped to idle. Can someone explain this? The gassers I've had did not have this issue

DmaxMaverick
07-21-2008, 19:52
The EPA is responsible for this. Unless you install a torque converter control that keeps the converter locked on compression, that's the way it will be. Gassers have greater compression braking ability, so it's less profound.

BigGun J
07-22-2008, 22:07
I have a 700R4 soon to be fitted to my 6.2. I have installed the lock up solinoids (switched) for forth and also seperatly switched for 2&3. Is it ok to lock in second or third and use motor braking while coasting down hill? Will this harm the tranny? I will have a tranny temperature guage in the return line at the filter.

Thanks, Jim

DmaxMaverick
07-22-2008, 22:19
I have a 700R4 soon to be fitted to my 6.2. I have installed the lock up solinoids (switched) for forth and also seperatly switched for 2&3. Is it ok to lock in second or third and use motor braking while coasting down hill? Will this harm the tranny? I will have a tranny temperature guage in the return line at the filter.

Thanks, Jim

On my 85, all the lockup switches are bypassed (only one solenoid, at the pump area for the lockup, the rest are just pressure switches), and have been for over 20 years (switched at the column, which I haven't unlocked intentionally in 19 years). No problems with the original tranny. I attribute the longevity to more lockup time, and less fluid friction heat.