PDA

View Full Version : Help before drilling holes for guages

hamold1
07-19-2008, 12:34
pyro...no room to drill in downpipe..I can get a hole in base of turbo just before down pipe...good idea??????? or not????
directions say down pipe or manifold...can't really get a drill in those areas.

boost...do i drill the hole in the upper manifold? if so is one place better than another?????
directions say presure port fitting or in presure pipe on boost side of turbo

thanks in advance for any help

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2008, 12:41
If you remove the passenger side fender liner, you should be able to access the manifold. The wheel should also be removed. Drilling/tapping can be done with minimal risk with the engine idling. The downpipe should be accessible. If you remove it, it will be most certainly accessible.

The boost tap really is a matter of choice. Choose a location most convenient for you, as long as it's between the turbo and manifold. Most folks remove the upper plenum cover and drill/tap it off the engine (you may need a new gasket). Using a 90° fitting can prevent a bad angle on the tubing, which can lead to line damage and deformation/kink. This depends on where you install it, and how you route the line.

hamold1
07-19-2008, 13:02
so the round part of the upper plenium just after turbo would be okay??

i was trying to save some time on the pyro install..i'd like to avoid removing the inner fender as we had it out to install the new 3" downpipe now it's all back together...i know i should have thought about this before...do you think there would be a problem drilling the hole in the turbo just ahead of the down pipe,

sturgeon-phish
07-19-2008, 18:48
Here is a pic of where I installed the boost tap
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/sturgeon-phish/Truck/000_0015-5.jpg
Very easy.

For the pyro, is your gauge pre or post turbo? If pre turbo the drivers side of the crossover works great, without any fear of getting chips in theturbo. Just remove the crossover, weld on a bung and you are done
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p81/sturgeon-phish/Truck/000_0003-6.jpg
Jim

DmaxMaverick
07-19-2008, 19:37
Don't drill the turbo. One mistake will cost a grand. And, it may interfere with the wastegate.

I don't know what to tell you. But, I'd just pull the fender liner and do it right, no matter how much you hate to do it. If your pyro probe is a clamp style, you can drill and install it just about anywhere you can reach (and it'll be out of harm's way) on the crossover or downpipe. Welding a bung is ideal, but not always practical. Which probe do you have? And, if your gage is colored/ranged for post turbo, install it in the downpipe.

hamold1
07-20-2008, 07:48
i'm using a bully dog guage #gp-1600 and a thermocouple #36344-& a 1/8" MPTx1/8"compression adapter & a thermocouple wire lead#36470...it doesn;t specify pre or post turbo but the diresctions say either in the turbo downpipe or manifold....I wish i could put in the crossover , that would be very easy, directions don't give that as option.... I have just enough length to get the extention wire across to the down pipe so i will take duramax's advise and gain access to the downpipe to install fitting. Thanks to the other post with the pictures too...that's where i was thinking for the boost fitting.

DmaxMaverick
07-20-2008, 08:22
It isn't rocket science. All you are doing is sampling the temperature of the exhaust gas. Anywhere you can stick the probe into the gas stream will accomplish this. For the sake of this discussion, mounting in the crossover is the same as the manifold. Pre and post turbo is different, however. The turbo soaks a lot of heat, which is what it does to do it's job. There will be a temp drop of 100-400° (depending on load) after the turbo, so you need to note this when watching your temp. It will also be less responsive than in a pre turbo position, meaning the change in temp will be slower, but only a difference of several seconds, because the turbo assy retains heat and sheds it as the gas passes through. Both have advantages. Pre turbo with one probe only samples one bank, but is more responsive and indicative of actual gas temps as it exits the cylinder. Post turbo will sample an average of both banks, but is slower to respond and can be effected by more variables, like wastegate operation or exhaust system leaks. Either is as good as the other, and much depends on personal preference. It is just important to know the difference. If your gage has a hard limit (max range) set for post turbo, it may not go high enough for pre turbo. If it has a colored range (usually green/yellow/red), the warning ranges will be different for pre or post. You would not want to operate with the temp in the pre turbo yellow (typically 1050-1250° for a pre turbo) if your probe is post turbo. Impending doom. Just the same, you would not want to install the probe pre turbo if your gages maxes at 1200°, as it will not work near the maximum safe range, or show you an overheat, or how much. The probe is also important. For example, if you have a ~1300 probe, it would not work well pre turbo, as the peak temps will likely exceed this under normal full load operation, and may effect or damage the probe accuracy. A probe rated temp should be several hundred ° higher than your anticipated maximum operating temp. All the information you need should be included in the documents that came with the kit.

All that said, gages are not typically precision instruments. They are best used for tracking trends. They can be very accurate (it happens on occasion), but are best for watching for things "out of the norm".

ttpost
07-20-2008, 09:36
there may be some confusion, what they mean by the skirt is the little rubber piece behind the tire, not the fender well buy new clips about 3$ and pull your tire off to make this easier.

hamold1
07-20-2008, 17:09
Your right Dmax it's really not rocket science....guages installed and working properly thanks for your help...never done that before and just wanted some reassurance......It's not like I am using this for pulling anything heavy I put the exhaust probe in the cross over, very easy. This is now a 95% finished project for me and my son...all new paint,rims,tires,and 6.5 diesel mods he is very proud of it, I'd like to share pictures to ohter 6.5 owners but need to figure out how to do that on here....

Thanks again to all who posted

a5150nut
07-20-2008, 20:26
paint,rims,tires,and 6.5 diesel mods he is very proud of it, I'd like to share pictures to ohter 6.5 owners but need to figure out how to do that on here....

Try this link Photopost Tutorial (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=28778)

DmaxMaverick
07-20-2008, 21:12
Yes! Please do share your pics. You, as a member, already have a photo account available HERE (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/index.php). Once in your photo album, you can post them into threads or link the album. Let me know if you need help getting them posted.