PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Neophyte Seeks Help & Advice

UpinAK
07-16-2008, 10:45
I am in the process of buying my son’s 2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD. The truck has 94K miles on it and I know he has maintained it well. My wife will retire in four years and our hope is to buy a 5th Wheeler and spends some winters out of Alaska. That word “snowbird” has become most desirable! Rather than spend 50K for a new truck our thinking is to put resources into this truck, store it in the garage come winter and gradually have it gone through from top to bottom before she graduates. I work out of the house and put MAYBE 3K miles on a vehicle a year. When I asked him to describe the truck by email, as he recently took a job as a deckhand on a luxury yacht and is sailing around the world, he writes: 02 GMC Sierra 2500 LB 6.6L Duramax, SS 4 inch exhaust, Edge Juice Chip w/Attitude, new intake and new wastegate actuator. Now to my inquiry. I am a diesel and HD truck neophyte. Absolute bone head newbie. I became a Dieselpage member and bought the Duramax 6600 Volume I. Would anyone recommend where I can get a manual for this truck and other books so I can teach myself to maintain and understand all the options and add on’s that should be considered over the next few years before we start our travel plans? I’m an avid manual reader. I have tried Google for a manual, but come up empty. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

More Power
07-16-2008, 11:24
Welcome aboard!

Considering a truck that has a number of performance upgrades could indicate how it was driven. The stock Allison automatic can handle only so much extra power before it begins to suffer. So, I would ask if the truck was raced or .....

The fuel injectors have a 200,000 mile or 7 year (whichever comes first) extended warranty. Have they been replaced yet? Not all have failure problems. I answered an email today from an owner who reported having his first set replaced at 200,000 miles.

The trans fluid and filter should have been changed at 25K or 50K depending on how the truck was driven (average of light loads or heavy loads). The first rear differential synthetic lube service should have been done at 10K.

The factory service manuals are the most comprehensive available. You can order them online from www.helminc.com (http://www.helminc.com)

Jim

Mark Rinker
07-16-2008, 16:20
You should be in good shape with the 2002 LB7 Duramax. I have one that has been worked hard every day of its life pulling trailers and plowing snow. It is ready to turn 300K yet this year and still runs like new - no oil usage, no noticeable change in driveability (acceleration, towing power, shifting, steering, stopping) than you'd expect from an 80-120K truck.

Like a rock. :)

UpinAK
07-16-2008, 16:42
Thanks Gentlemen... I realize I have a substantial learning curve ahead. This place seemed like a good place to start. I'm sure I'll have questions regarding maintenance and what not once I learn just what has and has not been done on the truck and I educate myself. He's a pretty squared away kid. At 27 he has grown past the hot rod stage and took great pride in the truck. He made a number of long distance trips in the lower 48 and admits occasionally "put his foot into in" but pampered it for the most part. Once I know the maintenance record and have a better understanding of what to look for and what to ask for, I'll work with a local diesel mechanic and seek advice here to bring it to where it needs to be.

UpinAK
07-19-2008, 08:07
The truck is going into the GMC dealer for an inspection. I have asked them to look over a list I have come up with from the hours I have spent reading here. Brakes, Ujoints, shocks, rear axel seals leaks etc. I’m going to have the windshield replaced and all the fluids and filters done. I considered undercoating it at 94K miles as I will use it to launch a 20ft Hewescraft for fishing the next few summers. Dealer tells me it would only quite it down, not provide much in the way of protection. I wash my truck EACH and EVERY time I return from the ramp. I live on the sea, the truck has spend most it’s life in Colorado. Never have to back into seawater deeper than the bottom of the rim. Buying 4 new Michelin 245/75/16's AT2’s for it.

My son installed an Edge Juice chip with Attitude gauges. I believe him when he tells me that occasionally he put his foot into it, but for the most part pampered the truck, from both pride and the cost of fuel. Is there anything the mechanic can look at or any tests that can be run while it’s on the rack that can inform me of any stress on the Allison, the injectors or what have you? I would rather spend the money now to find out I have issues to deal with than get surprised down the road.

As mentioned previously, my intent is to sink some funds into this rig, winter it inside and use it to haul an RV a few years down the road.

Anything I can add to the list the dealer does when I take it in would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
UpinAK