PDA

View Full Version : transmission questions

76m880
07-14-2008, 14:32
ok i have a 89 burb V2500 with a 6.5 diesel Th400 NP-241 Combo and 4.11 rear, i was wondering if swapping the th400 out for a sm465/205 combo would be worth it, right now my Th400 is slipping a bit and seems to be getting worn out, it slips pretty bad at the moment, And i have access to a sm465/205 combo for $200 this will mainly be used as a tow rig/work rig As I'm a Millwright and i normally carry 500+ pounds in tools in it.

my trailer i will regulary tow is a 1999 28' Kit companion tandem axle camp trailer weighing about 5700 pounds, I want it to be reliable, i dont mind a manual, or an auto but im mainly interested in reliability, for going through really hilly terrain

AKMark
07-14-2008, 17:58
I love the old SM465/NP205 combo but here's a few things to consider.

If you swap, you will have to find a clutch pedal assembly, the appropriate linkages to make the shifters work, you'll have to cut a hole in the floor for the shifter, and replace the T-case shifter as well. It's a lot more than it seems initially. If your interior is in good shape, it doesn't pay to do it on the cheap. Plus if you don't put the proper boots on and whatnot, you'll get fumes in the cab, and that's no good.

The Turbo 400 is a pretty stout unit and can be rebuilt for a decent price, for what you use it for, rebuild this unit, (that way you know what you've got) and get an additional trans cooler as well as a guage, that way it lasts a little longer this time around.

I put a manual trans in a Grand Cherokee I owned, because I wanted something different. Cost me a bit because I made it look stock. I got lucky and got a good used manual on the first try. I know a few others that have since tried the same thing I did. Most have had decent luck, but two got bad transmissions from the places they got them from. If you do this, take it to a shop before you install it and have them go through it. Make sure it's decent before installing it in your rig.

I love manual transmissions, but they aren't always the best option.

Edit: I almost forgot to mention, don't forget you'll have to have both driveshafts adjusted to fit the new trans setup. Not a cheap thing to do. You should be able to save money by just rebuilding the T400.