PDA

View Full Version : Dead Diesel 82 6.2L

Aerodyne
07-11-2008, 18:47
I have bought a 82 C-10 with a non running 6.2L. The pre. owner said that it just quit running and he though the pump was bad. Last tagged in 01 with 81000 mi showing.

I've been a truck diesel mechanic for 35+ years but this is the first small diesel I've had.

My question is what to do first after new batteries ?

Thanks
A

diaric
07-11-2008, 20:09
put some fuel in it, change the filters maybe, and crank and crack lines to see if its getting fuel. try the fuel bleed on the filter to see if its getting there, then crack open injector lines to see if IP is working. fuel shut off on IP could also not be working causing a no fuel situation

Robyn
07-12-2008, 07:28
All your previous experience applies with the little creatures too.
These engine can and do have all the same parts although smaller than the big truck stuff.

As was mentioned be sure you have clean airfree fuel to the IP and then check to be sure you are getting fuel to the injectors.

Be sure the glow plug system is working.

One thing to keep in mind, Dont use any MA STARTLY on these little critters as it can and will damage them.

If you have fuel, glow and good cranking RPM the little creature should run.

Let us know how it goes.

Robyn

Aerodyne
07-12-2008, 13:29
Thank you

I'm going to bring 2 batteries from work so I can get started working on the truck. The engine will go into a 1946 Ford 1 ton when I get it ironed out.

The best thing about an old Ford is the Chevy engine!

A

Aerodyne
08-08-2010, 18:20
Two years later and the batteries have never made it into the 82. Still sitting behind the shop.

The batteries have gone in a 84 K20 GMC. I overhauled a Case skidsteer last winter and my labor was this truck. It had been parked in the woods for 3 years. Turned over by hand to check for obstructions. All good. Changed oil and cranked with glows out till fuel is visible. installed glows, repaired wiring and 20 other things.

Took a few tries before it started but it did start. Had to get the vac. out and go to work. You ask why? 3 years of small critters living in dual exhaust pipes. Blew nests, seeds and acorns all over the shop.

It was a top of the line truck in its day but after years on a farm it's just a rough old truck.

The engine runs great. No smoke to notice but the turbo 400 has a few issues.

Pulled the 6.2 out of a 1982 today and picked up a Dana 70 rear with wheels all for $235. That gives me 2 red engines.

Lynn

Robyn
08-10-2010, 06:22
Good luck with the project

Robyn