PDA

View Full Version : Can you make an intercooler from an old auto radiator?

MTTwister
01-18-2004, 10:22
I've got an 18" 2 row radiator from a 72 Duster. Could this be modified to make an intercooler?

Is this too restrictive for air flow?

Thought would be to cut it down, mount it on top of the intake - engine, install a ram air hood and shorten up a lot of plumbing. Maybe install a slightly sloping 'plate' betwen the intake and the intercooler to direct any precipation off the engine and drain it toward the rear of the block.

I'm guessing not, but this thing is laying around the garage... smile.gif

patrick m.
01-18-2004, 10:31
some of the "engineering" types can explain why this wont work, but it has been discused before and the outcome was negative.

The idea for the location sounds interesting though!

triggerman
01-18-2004, 11:17
The hood mounted scoop would destroy the passive vacumm behind the radiator and the rad fan would loose some of it's efficientcey. You would have to duct the air flow past the engine to the bottom of the vehicle some how. Also, air to air coolers work best with lots of square inchs of fin plate . Look at a Dodge or Ford cooler, they are masive and fan powered ! Other than these considerations, sure, I think a radiator can be converted.

gmctd
01-18-2004, 11:33
Would be too restrictive at higher cfm air flows.
Best bet would be late GM alum radiators, where a single wide alum tube was used, replacing two or three row narrow copper or alum tubing.

Even better, and cheap, are charge air coolers from Volvo, Isuzu, etc, from the 1.5 - 2.5 ton delivery vans, and such.

Check eBay under turbocharger, intercooler, etc, for further ideas.

A man with a T.I.G. welder can do wondrous things amongst aluminum heat exchangers.