PDA

View Full Version : What year durmax to not buy?

442john
07-10-2008, 21:38
I know that some of the Duramax engines have injectors that are harder to replace, which ones are these or what years? I'm kinda looking at them now since it seems like a good time to buy one.

jbplock
07-11-2008, 05:51
John,

The LB7 engine (01-4.5) has the injectors under the valve cover. Injectors on the later versions (LLY, LBZ, LMM) are mounted external to the valve covers. For a good summary see the last post by More Power in following thread near the top of this forum.

New to Forum: How to tell type of Engine (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=27994)

Also checkout the content side of the The Diesel Page for descriptions of the various models. (click on Duramax 6600 Diesel Page (http://www.thedieselpage.com/duramax6600.htm) at the top of this page)

There are trade offs with each engine type .. The federal emission version of the LB7 has no EGR and CAT while the later versions have more power power in stock form. You can also find more good info using the forum search feature.

:)

Mark Rinker
07-11-2008, 16:25
I don't think there is a 'bad' year Duramax. Even year one (2001) was rock solid.

As for ease of injector replacement, and savings on shop time to the consumer, I'll let one of our GM techs chime in here...all three sets of injectors (done on my '01, '02, and '04) - were free under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't now buy a used 2004.5 or 2005 LLY equipped truck. I owned a 2005 and wasn't impressed with that transistional version of the Duramax due to poor towing fuel mileage and noticeably lower power than my LB7s.

LB7s will always be my favorites for mileage and no emmission BS...LBZs seem to have found power, emissions compliance, and good mileage in stock trim. My advice would be to buy a 'babied' low mile 2004 LB7, trading up for an LBZ when the injector warranty has expired due to miles or years.

(FLAME AWAY, LLY OWNERS!!!! I CAN TAKE IT :) )

Dakster
07-11-2008, 17:07
My personal motto is the newer and more warranty left he better (even if it is an extended warranty).

In stock form I didn't like the way the LLY motor ran... There are always aftermarket products to help in the power department.

The tid-bit you left of your post was how much $$ do you budgeted to spend?

442john
07-17-2008, 17:57
Sorry for not responding, been very busy. I found a 2004 on E-bay ITEM#230270451151, Silverado 3500 4X4 Dually and says 12501 meets reserve? I am just looking but the prices of these trucks looks VERY GOOD to me???? Thanks for the advice!!!! God bless!!!!

Duramaster
07-17-2008, 21:26
My opinion is this............. the 2001 - 2004.5 LB7's are the easiest to work on. Overall best fuel mileage as reported by customers feedback. The 2004.5 and 2005 LLY's have there quirks but are very reliable. The 2006 to current engines are the worst as far as working on them goes. Especially the NEW body style trucks. All the GM dealers are actually removing the cabs from the vehicles when it comes to turbocharger erplacement and head work. YUCK!!! My favorite to drive though are the NEW body style trucks with are their factory POWER!!!! :D