PDA

View Full Version : How much mileage is alot compared to diesel and gas engines?

sonyador
07-07-2008, 23:00
Hi all, we are looking at a 2005 GMC 2500HD LLY 4x4 crewcab with a lift kit already installed and it has 67,000 miles on it. Is that considered alot of mileage for a diesel ? I'm sure it would be for a gasoline engine. When does a diesel has too many miles on it? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question, but diesel powered p/ups are are new for us. My husband drives a big rig and of course those are diesel and run for a long time mileage wise. Any advice or recommendations would be very helpful. They want $22,000.00 for the truck.

More Power
07-07-2008, 23:40
Welcome to the board!

It doesn't get to the point of being "a lot" of miles for the engine/trans till about 200,000. The general condition of the truck is usually a more important consideration till then...

Jim

Shed
07-08-2008, 06:20
I agree, I bought my 01' with 65k on it and now have 95k after 2 1/2 years and the truck looks "new". I would really look at the lift kit. Is it a leveling kit or a true lift? Did they do the lift right or cut corners? I usually find if it's lifted there are also other mods that may or may not be wanted, and some of those mods can be a downright problem! Look for intake, exhaust, programmers etc. and find out as much about the truck as possible before buying. I found a stock 06' with 37k on it, crew cab, pretty much loaded up for 27k$. I wish I could have gotten that! Good luck and welcome aboard!
Shed

sonyador
07-08-2008, 06:53
i don,t know enough about all the equipment, but it had only 1 prior owner for 2 1/2 yrs. but here is the truck.

trbankii
07-08-2008, 07:08
Looks pretty sweet! As Shed and MP mentioned, I'd look at the installation of the lift kit and go over any other "added" components. But 67K is just starting to get it broken in!

AKMark
07-08-2008, 17:32
67K is just getting broken in for either a gas or a Diesel. I've taken seven gasser's past the 200K mark with nothing ever happening to the block itself. (let's not get stupid, there are plugs, wires, cap, rotor, water pump, alternator and other issues that were replaced, but the motors were solid, 4 Chevy 350's, 2 Chevy 4.3's, and 2 Jeep 4.0L's.)

I've taken four diesel's beyond 400K+ and one over 550K. Again, nothing but regular maintenance and never pulling the heads or anything. The one that made 550K was a 82 Chevy 6.2 K20. SM465 4-speed, and it still got 25 mpg unless we let it idle for hours on end. The truck was completely rusted away. It was actually on it's third cab and second bed, (northern Minnesota salt got the better of it) before we finally upgraded the farm truck as the third cab had rusted away to the point I could stand on the ground from the driver's seat again. Dad bought it new in 82 and we gave it to another farmer in 1999. We put two clutches in it, as well as two sets of glow plugs, four heater cores, two alternators, one fuel pump, and I think three sets of brakes. Besides tires, and oil changes, that was about it. Dad still wishes he had put another cab and bed on it as no truck since then has performed as well as that one. I wish it would've had an hourmeter, as the first six years (and 350K of it's life) were spent as my father's work truck for his large animal veterinarian business. It idled from November to March those years as it had a large box on the back that kept some of dad's medicines from freezing. It didn't get a lot of use from 86 till 93 except for running around the farm (couple thou a year) until I got the farm permit and started racking up the miles like crazy.

Don't be nervous about anything with the low of mileage.

Dakster
07-09-2008, 14:46
I'm amazed you can actually buy a diesel in the peoples republic of california....

Truck looks real nice. I don't have any high mileage stories that can come close to topping AKMark's so I won't bother.

I too would look for some undesireable mods that you don't want and also what is the service history of the vehicle? (The dealer should be able to pull it by the VIN, if not someone here should be able to do it for you).

If you are nervous, get a decent aftermarket extended warranty. Shop around, but most likely GM's aftermarket warranty will be twice as much. CNN just did a big internet article on what to look for in an extended warranty a couple of days ago. A quick search should bring it up. The basics are Find out if the warranty pays you back or the service center directly. Get a named component coverage and read the fine print, and keep a good service history to prove you changed the oil on time, etc...

Just my .02.

DarylB
07-23-2008, 10:51
I'd hold out for a 2006/2007 Classic with the LBZ. They're plentiful and cheap now.

rustyk
07-23-2008, 19:35
A true diesel (not the 5.7L crap foisted off by GM years ago) will get 400-500K miles - IF MAINTAINED and DRIVEN. With computer-controlled FI, and unleaded fuels, todays gaso engines are easily capable of 250,000+ miles - and more. A Cummins ISx series or Cat C-series should easily make 1,000,000 miles.

I used to be a fuels and lube engineer, and I'm of the opinion that cold-start count is the main limiting factor for diesels. Many folks start the diesel, and "let 'er warm up." Not a good practice. Once all cylinders are firing, GET THAT SUCKER MOVING! be moderate on acceleration until the temp needle's off the peg, but get to operatiing temp as quickly as possible. BTW, this also applies to gaso mills. Live up north? Bear the cold - start it up and GO! Don't warm the engine up under no load - stick a space heater in there if you're a wimp, and run it a few minutes. My '81 Nissan Maxima diesel (betcha didn't even know there was such a beast, didja'?) now has 750,000 miles on it. New injectors (two sets, a couple of pulley dampers, and three transmissions) - it's still running at 32 mpg - engine's otherwise never been apart. With 325K miles, I sold it to my sister, who sold it at around 650K, and it goes and goes...

And, yeah, I can say I've lived with the get-in-the-cold-vehicle-and-go - I've lived in Alaska and Maine, so I understand - and have endured - the concept.