PDA

View Full Version : lift pump-OPS test -- how much fuel?

curmudge1
08-25-2004, 09:37
I found the instructions on testing the OPS & lift pump... I have a new lift pump (along with new fuel lines) & I still don't seem to hear the pump run on after I turn off the engine, like I used to. Tested voltage at the lift pump, about 14.25 volts. But, I found some posts that suggest that does not prove the OPS is good, so I'm going to do the test where I open the brass petcock in the front (water bleed valve or something like that?)...

Now, my question is, about how much fuel will come out in a 60-second test? I.e., how large a container do I need to use to keep fuel from spilling all over? Large coffee can? small? 1 Quart oil container?

Thanks...

tbuck
08-25-2004, 09:58
I just did mine and it had about a cups worth.
I don't know if that is normal or not, but I replaced my fuel pump about a year ago so it should be good.

curmudge1
08-25-2004, 16:16
OK, so the engine died less than 20 seconds after opening the petcock, no fuel came out... means the OPS is bad, right? I had to fill the fuel filter by energizing at the fuse block on the firewall so the engine would start again (opened the bleeder on the fuel filter, ran the pump 2X til the fuel gushed out, closed the bleeder, opened the petcock & ran the pump again until fuel came out that hose).

Geez, that's about 4 or 5 OPS-es in about 170K miles, no telling how long I was running with a bad OPS each time. It's a shame the OPS is such a weak link; too bad there isn't a lift pump indicator light... I know some folks have wired one in, as well as putting a HD relay in with the OPS.

charliepeterson
08-25-2004, 18:40
Within a full turn you should see fuel come out of the rubber hose at the end of the water bleed screw "T fitting". I like to see a pencil tip shape or the entire diameter of the hose as the shape of the fuel coming out. So far I've either seen nothing or a good stream.

If nothing comes out then shut the screw very quickly so you don't lose the prime. The fuel comes out in no time.

curmudge1
08-27-2004, 08:22
Well that seems to work... $25 OPS from NAPA, & fuel comes out when I open the valve.

Does the OPS also act as the sender to the oil pressure gauge on the dash? Seems to register higher oil pressure than before.

Also, I seem to recall seeing a post that (hot) idling in traffic was especially bad for the OPS, can anyone confirm?

How often does everyone else check there OPS? Monthly? Weekly?

Thanks for advice.

MTTwister
08-27-2004, 09:17
Cur...
Look here - defined wires to OPS ( edit oops- OPS - doesn't mention the 3rd wire - which goes to the gauge) .

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007003

how often does anyone test? I'm betting when they have a serious problem. The relay idea needs doing on my outfit, for sure.

catmandoo
08-27-2004, 10:46
ya i'm looking to put the relay on both mine before too long,weird thing mines been givin me hell for a year now and just today got to thinkin i can't remember the last time i heard the pump run after i shut it off,i'm gonna do some diggin right now to see just whats up .