PDA

View Full Version : 1993 C1500 6.2L No Power, No smoke...

crazeejames
07-04-2008, 22:54
As above, 6.2L, no power and no smoke when on the foot feed. By itself the truck is not to bad, not near what a 350 gas has for power, but it is usable. With a load of any kind behind it.......ie) 1000lb ATV on a 1500LB trailer, could barely hit 60MPH, and any head wind, it wouldn't. What should I check........its got 150,000miles on it. Like the title says, no power and NO smoke when foot to the floor. Any advice on what to check or what to replace would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

HillBilly2
07-05-2008, 04:23
Replace both the fuel filter and air filter. Just because. Their both probably overdue lol. It's possible the timing is retarded slightly due to timing chain stretch, advancing the pump a few degrees may help.

Robyn
07-05-2008, 07:57
The filter regimen is a great place to start but I am suspect that the Injector pump and the injectors are just worn out.

150K is a good service life on the fuel system.

The little 6.2 does not have an over abundance of power anyway and when the fuel system starts to fall off it becomes very noticeable.

Another thing you might want to check prior to doing IP in squirts is the EGR
Make sure this little devil (sits right in the middle of the air inlet at the top of the manifold) is not stuck open.

Normally a failed EGR thats open all the time will cause loads of smoke.

How is the cold start? difficult?? Does the engine have a fair rattle to it when its running after its warm?

A streched timing chain is an absolute with 150K and a slight tweek in timing may help but usually reatarded timing will show some white smoke when idling before it warms up

Let us know

Best

Robyn

crazeejames
07-05-2008, 11:23
Its not the egr, as it has been blocked off. Air pump is removed. No white smoke at idle. It does have a pretty good diesel sound cold, as well as hot. Its just got NO jam at all.........a gas 350 would destroy this truck for pulling power......
How do I advance the timing a notch to check if that helps? Do I need EGT gauge to be safe?