PDA

View Full Version : DaHooooley 4L80 troubles

Robyn
07-01-2008, 16:32
The tranny in the DaHooooley has always been a little hinky when hot and would try to start in 2 when hot and then drop to low with a little throttle being applied.
Last week it stopped getting low alltogether and also lost 4th.

Hmmmm well I did not have the time to rip into it so I had a local shop check it out and it turned out to be some O rings on the solenoid feed circuit as well as a plugged feed screen.

We also took the valve body off and cleaned everything well and checked for worn of scored valves.

Replaced the A and B solenoids with fresh ones from MA general.

Total cost ( I bought the noids) $239.00

Tranny shifts sweeeeeeeeeet again.

Love it when a plan comes together. :D

Later

Robyn

Mark Rinker
07-01-2008, 16:50
Smart on your part (poet, I know it) to see the signs of trouble, and address them when they are small and relatively inexpensive.

Left to their own devices, slush-boxes don't get better, in my experience. :mad:

Robyn
07-01-2008, 19:48
After seeing into this ones bowels I am convinced that someone else had been there before as they left dirty little tracks behind.

Drove the truck about 40 miles tonight after picking it up and it works very nice.

You are very right about fixing little issues before they become BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGG ones :eek:

Applies to a lot of things on our rigs and not just the auto trannies.

I dont like wondering what the issue is cause it may be just ready to leave ya hung out to dry on some lonely road somewhere, Dont Ya Know! :mad:

Best

Robyn

ToddMeister
07-05-2008, 12:11
Glad it was nuthin major!

Last Labor day the tranny in our Trailblazer took a dump climbing the Zilwaukee Bridge, no warning, just zinggggg, only had 1st and 3rd. At least we were not far from home to limp along. Several $$$$ later, back on the road. Sun Shell splines failed...

Robyn
07-08-2008, 06:38
The fingers are crossed.
There is no way to know for sure except to extrapolate from the fact that the tranny is not making any bad noises and does what its supposed to.

The crap that was in the pan was definately enough to give pause but under the circumstances both myself and the fellow who worked on it were of the opinion that it had come from a previous disaster.

The nice part is that this time was cheap and if I can get another year out of it or more I'm ahead of the game.

The game plan right now is to run the rig for the summer and then drop the pan this fall and see. If the thing is clean we are going to install a shift kit (transgo) and call it good.

Best

Robyn

Robyn
07-08-2008, 06:41
Todd
Your rig would have the 4L60. The sunshell is a weak spot in these units.
They are notorious for failure.
The "Beast" is a good fix for this issue, and one of several needed upgrades.

Best

Robyn

ToddMeister
07-10-2008, 12:59
Todd
Your rig would have the 4L60. The sunshell is a weak spot in these units.
They are notorious for failure.
The "Beast" is a good fix for this issue, and one of several needed upgrades.

Best

Robyn

We had the Beast and some other upgrades done on the overhaul. So far, so good.

Don't want to do this again....