PDA

View Full Version : Mixed Parts... Mixed Emotions

MaxACL
06-24-2008, 17:40
After replacing the Dual Mass Flywheel three times I went with the solid flywheel from So Bend Clutch. Well today the clutch disk went to pieces on me and to make a long story short, the P Plate is from the dual mass camp (and is a one time use as it can't be easily reset to mate with a new disk) and the disk is from the 8.1 big block and can be bought from the Ford dealer. I'm confused.

Now here's the kicker, replace everything with the dual mass (again) or call So Bend clutch and replace the disk and p plate (again). I opted to go with So Bend.

Is the torque in the 6.6 so much stronger that it will cause the 8.1 disk to fail? I know the 8.1 has as much HP and a bit shorter on the torque... is this a good choice I made.

On a side note... When and Where is the sweet spot to up/down shift? I may have to change a few of my driving habits.

Mike

More Power
06-24-2008, 22:34
Doesn't South Bend sell a complete package for the Duramax (FW, Clutch plate & pressure plate)? That would be the best solution. Mixing & matching parts can't be good.....

Diesels put a lot more stress on the manual clutch components than a gas engine will. This is largely due to the high compression and significant torque impulses produced by each cylinder and put into the crank, especially at low engine speeds.

Try LuK, CenterForce....

Jim

MaxACL
06-25-2008, 10:41
Jim,

The set-up that is/was in there now was a kit from So Bend Clutch. In fact they gave us (AAMCO and myself) the parts information. I bought the whole kit in October.

So it's been in service for nine months and 50,000 miles. At least the dual mass lasted for 100,000 miles:(

Mike