PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Quit Running

jogl
06-14-2008, 07:39
I was driving along and my 6.2 (in '92 Rally Van) just quit. The engine was not entirely warmed up as I had only driven a couple of miles. Up until now it had been running fine.

Electrical seems ok. I swapped in two other batteries and no difference. Motor turns over but not as fast as normal. I have to hold the accelerator about half way down to get it to start and keep it running. When it starts it has a bad miss (seems like more than one cylinder missing) and seems to be making a squeak or squeal sometimes. It squeals sometimes when just turning over. Sounds like its coming from the right head or from the block, but hard to tell.

There has been a leak on my fuel filter housing (from the fuel heater) for a while but I hadn't fixed it yet. I bypassed the fuel filter assembly with a temporary inline filter to rule that out as a problem. Seems to be plenty of fuel flow and pressure from the lift pump. No improvement.

Oil and antifreeze look normal.

I'm thinking that it is almost time to start taking things apart and check compression.

Anything other easy things that I should check for first? I'm dreading having to take the engine out of that van.

Thanks,
JP.

AKMark
06-14-2008, 08:26
Sounds like a fuel problem.

Could be the selenoid on the IP or the IP itself.

If you need an IP, let me know, I have a rebuilt one with pretty low miles in the shed. (hasn't been there too long)

jogl
06-14-2008, 11:52
AKMark:

I hope that you are right but I fear engine problems.

I put the block heater on for a few hours (even though its is 80*F here) to see if a warm engine would make any difference. Now I can hear something squealing every revolution that she makes. I think that something got loose in one of the cylinders on the right side.

I'll take out the glow plugs and injectors and check those before I check the compression.

JP.