PDA

View Full Version : starter engages when battery hooked up?

350Tacozilla
06-12-2008, 19:43
ok just got an ex-military CUCV m1008 with the 6.2 NA it was wired 24V but I got it minus a few parts such as starter... put a 12V starter on... hooked the power to starter to the FRONT battery (12V verified with a ohm meter) but as soon as the battery post touches the cable the starter starts whirring over...had starter checked it is ok... never had this probelm on my gasser trucks..... also I checked and re-routed the small selenoid wire and verified it gets power when key is switched on :confused:

Robyn
06-13-2008, 06:34
Somewhere there is a connection between the solenoid terminal and the main battery lug.

In order for the starter to run/engage there has to be power (12V) applied to the solenoids small terminal that controls the coil.

You need to check out the wiring and make sure there is not some other wires connected where they should not be.

Best

Robyn

dieselcj8
06-13-2008, 18:44
the silonoid on the starter could be fused shut causing the starter to be constantly energized

hatzie55
06-13-2008, 19:26
I checked and re-routed the small solenoid wire and verified it gets power when key is switched on :confused:

The starter bench tests good so the solenoid is not at fault.
You measured 12v at the small terminal with the ignition in the ON/RUN position? This wire should only have voltage when the key is in the spring loaded START position.
Find & correct the problem in the wiring between the starter and the ignition switch on the column. If you changed wiring at the firewall block recheck the pin positions of your modifications... It's real easy to put a connection in one position off (don't ask).

-Dave

350Tacozilla
06-15-2008, 09:44
i may look into that.. there are lots of small connectors that are very similar... but it did this as 24V and now as 12V .... so dunno there