PDA

View Full Version : When ordering parts 1500 or 2500

DieselDavey
06-10-2008, 19:50
Hello again,

I need to order a power steering pump for the Burban.

I've been asked a few times if my truck is a 1500 or 2500...

I have the heavy duty 1500, that is: a code "L" engine, Heavy Trans and Heavy Suspension...

Do I order parts for a 1500 or 2500? Seems to me the truck is essentially a 2500.

Also, could somebody tell me witch pump to order at: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php ?

I think I need this one: http://info.rockauto.com/Cardone/Detail2.html?info.rockauto.com/Cardone/208747V1.html

I have speed assist steering. Does this mean I need the pump with the "EVO" component? I called Rock Auto, the person I got through to did not know anything about Autos... He was the computer/ internet support person.

I would rather have the shop perform the work, but I can not drive the Burban to them (belt wont stay on).

Has anyone here changed their own pump? I've done a search but no details... any advise would be greatly appreciated!

I know that I need to have a machine shop remove the old pulley and press it onto the new pump... Seems the new (rebuilt) pumps do not come with the pulley.

I should probably replace the hoses as well...

What about the filtration system? There is a pump with the "Magna Pure" filtration system. Is this built into the pump? Should I order the pump with the filtration and EVO?

I know the system needs to be flushed... and then the air "burped" out by raising the front end with the engine idling. My manual does not cover the steering, I will do a search here, but if anyone could put me onto a thread about flushing the steering system that would be great!

Thanks again everyone,

Dave

DieselDavey
06-12-2008, 09:21
Oops... I posted that the engine is a code "L", it is actually a code "F"...Any ideas? Thanks, I need some info or I need to tow this to the shop :(

john8662
06-12-2008, 11:05
I'd just say 2500. The only differences that I'm aware of for your rig between it and a 1500 is the rear differential (housing-associated pieces and gearing) and front differential gearing.

The rest of the equipment is the same.

Just order the pump that fits the options that reflect your '99.

As far as priming, just fill it up, it should self-prime.

J

DieselDavey
06-12-2008, 16:13
Thanks John!

Does anyone have any idea about how to flush the system?

Thanks for your advise!

damork
06-12-2008, 18:42
When I owned my 1500 I pulled the return line that connected to the reservoir and added an extension then routed it to a bucket on the floor. Then I jacked it up and set it on jackstands / blocks to allow it to steer easy, started it up and had someone slowly turn from lock to lock and pump the brakes while I kept the pump full of new fluid. This seemed to purge all the old fluid out of the system very well. I used the Valvoline Synthetic fluid found at many parts stores and it stayed very clean. Original seals were still dry when I sold it at 258,000 miles.

DieselDavey
06-12-2008, 20:25
Thank you!

I think I'll tackle it this week, or whenever the pump comes in!

rhsub
06-12-2008, 21:37
There is a special puller to remove the pulley that attaches to the groove in the centre hub, don't use a two or three jaw puller on the outside of the pulley or on the centre hub groove because you will likely bend or damage the pulley, they are usually on there pretty tight.
There is also a special installer tool but I have used a good quality bolt (grade 5 or better) to install the pulley. Make sure the bolt is threaded far enough so you can use a nut and a heavy washer to do the work, don't use a bolt only, you might strip the threads in the end of the pump shaft. Use grease on the threads and nut and washer.
DO NOT USE A HAMMER OR PRESS TO INSTALL THE PULLEY AS THIS WILL DAMAGE THE PUMP
Any questions on this procedure just ask
Good luck
Ron

Robyn
06-13-2008, 06:29
The Puller /installer tool can be obtained from most any parts store in a nice little kit.

These are not terrible expensive and will be far cheaper than paying a shop to do the job..

If the system has become contaminated a flush is in order.
The hoses on a 99 should still be good, although one should look them over for signs of leaks or worn/chaffed spots.

The system is self purging.
The fluid goues from the pressure side of the pump to the hydro boost and then to the pressure side of the stearing box and then back to the reservior on the pump.
Any air will be gone in a few seconds after the engine is started.

Best

Robyn