PDA

View Full Version : 5 Sp Manual Transmission - Synchro's

andrewfessler
04-28-2004, 07:47
Has anyone had to have the transmission synchronizers replaced on their 5spd?

On my 6.5, when shifting between 1st and 2nd, it feels like the synchronizer is worn. I can't speed shift, or all I get is grinding gears.

Also when downshifting, it grinds really bad, to the point I only downshift if I have to.

All the other gears are fine. The local transmission shop wont give me an estimate till I bring it in and they start on it, sounds like they wanna get started and then rip me off.

Anyone have an idea of what this *should* cost?

odee
04-29-2004, 19:33
Is it the nv4500 tranny? If so I talked to a rebuilder in fl. that has the brass syncro's in stock for this tranny. When I rebuild my spare up I believe that is what I'm gonna go with. His pricing on the syncro's and other parts were really good. I found the number off a ad on ebay

C.K. Piquup
04-30-2004, 03:40
Sounds like you are on the right track(synchros).Unfortunately,you don`t know what else has been affected until physically inspecting the internals.Although it`s likely in this case,with symptoms described,there would be little or no other damage related(soft pieces).There is always the possibility there will be other worn parts once inspected.Find someone trustworthy,or at least someone that will show you and explain the situation.Start asking around,Good Luck.

andrewfessler
04-30-2004, 05:44
Thanks for the responses. The deal is I am trying to sell the truck, I have a potential buyer who is willing to buy the truck for a reduced cost and get it fixed himself. He is arguing that it would cost $1000, I think it would be more like $500.

So I am trying to figure out, without getting the work done, a good estimate.

I drive the truck maybe once a month, so its never been a real problem for me. If I drove it more frequently I would have had it fixed ages ago. smile.gif

C.K. Piquup
05-02-2004, 16:37
Here`s one thing to consider.A new NV4500 costs in the $2500 range.That`s the top number you have to consider.When taking one of these to a trans shop(lost 5th with no prior symptoms),which I ran a while(45-50mph max),they found blueing in gear cluster and elsewhere.Parts were $1400 before labor.I bought a new GM crate.The fact that the guy is willing to take it"as is"is a plus to you.If it were me,I`d take the offer.