PDA

View Full Version : AC Delco Oil Filter for 6.5

dondandd
06-06-2008, 17:11
Has anyone else ever used a PF2232 oil filter, which is apparently a Duramax filter, on the 6.5? After I picked up my truck, almost a year ago, one of the first things I did was an oil change. The local parts store said they listed two type of filters one a basic style and another which was an HD style, apparently built for the diesel only (so they said). The PF2232 filter is what they gave me as the HD style, and so far it's been running fine. But when I went to get another filter for it, they gave me a PF1218, which seems to be the correct one for the 6.5. I didn't even know I had the wrong filter on until this oil change.

So apparently the PF2232 will work one the 6.5, but are there any benefits? Or is there anything that I'm not seeing that would make the PF2232 bad for the 6.5?
Thanks,
Don.

sturgeon-phish
06-07-2008, 04:18
Not sure but the difference is in the physical size of the filter I think, the HD has more capacity if I remember correctly.
Jim

dondandd
06-07-2008, 05:51
It definitely appears to be a longer filter (and heavier). And more capacity isn't a bad thing. Although the stock filter really doesn't have any deficiencies, does it?

Don.

DmaxMaverick
06-07-2008, 10:52
IIRC, the 2232 has an internal anti-drainback valve in it, and the 1218 doesn't. I could be wrong, but this came up a few years ago. This could benefit a 6.5 with a weak valve. If it is the same, dimensionally, it certainly won't hurt. I have no idea about the quality differences, though. Mdrag would be the one to ask about that (if he's still around). He cut open a bunch of filters years ago for comparison.

dondandd
06-07-2008, 21:10
Little more google searching shows the 1218 has the anti drain-back as well. Guess the ole 6.5 is going to get that filter now anyway, since I've got it and it is the 'correct' filter. Did a search for Mdrag and did pull up much, so maybe the archives only go back so far.

Don.

JohnC
06-09-2008, 11:33
The Duramax filter has an internal pressure relief valve whereas the 6.5 filter does not.

dondandd
06-09-2008, 13:44
Is that enough of a benefit to warrant using the dmax filter over the stock recommended filter? I would guess that feature would ensure oil always gets thru, even if the filter is clogged, and may prevent the filter from blowing apart. But for most decently maintained vehicles, I can't imagine that being a problem.

Don.

JohnC
06-09-2008, 14:24
The 6.5 block has the relief valve built in. The one in the filter is redundant and may not be set to the correct pressure differential.

The size difference is insignificant, IMHO.

Ergo, no benefit.

dondandd
06-09-2008, 20:54
I'm convinced!
Thanks,
Don.