PDA

View Full Version : Starter fluid smell under the hood and through the AC in the cab

Huntgfish
08-23-2004, 16:17
I have recently completed a major performance overhaul on my 94 K2500 4x4 extended cab 6.5TD, I put in Bill Heath's HO injectors, glow plugs, the e prom chip and pulled the vacum pump off the turbo and replaced it with the turbo master switch. Performance is unbelievable, but I am getting fumes under the hood, even through the AC ducts, even with Max AC on! It smells like starting fluid, I brought it by a diesel mechanic and he did not know what it was, thought it might have something to do with taking off the vacum pump to the turbo. Any suggestions?

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2004, 18:30
Antifreeze can smell like that, especially if it is dripped onto an exaust part. Check your heater core catch pan for coolant. The quick connectors (if you have them) used at the firewall for the heater lines have a tendancy to fail for no reason at all.

Other than that, need more details. Could be something that's been spilled or dropped (perhaps from a bird, or something) in or near the grate below the windshield. Even when you use max A/C, there is still fresh air mixed in.

Good luck.

Huntgfish
08-23-2004, 20:44
when I am stopped, I can see smoke coming out the passenger side of the hood. When I open the hood the smoke seems to be coming from the passenger side of the engine.

I do know that I have a small leak in the radiator it is low about once a month.

DmaxMaverick
08-23-2004, 21:22
I do know that I have a small leak in the radiator it is low about once a month. Sure sounds like a good place to start looking. The heater lines pass through the firewall on the passenger side. The turbo and downpipe is also on that side.

You could have a pressure leak that drips coolant onto the exhaust. That would explain the smell and the coolant loss. If you do have a slight pressure leak that drips onto the exhaust, you would never see a puddle or moisture, but should be able to see steam (smoke) and/or smell it if it were significant.

How much coolant are you loosing each month?

Huntgfish
08-24-2004, 17:00
I brought it by a radiator man today. He said it was definitly was the heater core, $180 parts and labor!

DmaxMaverick
08-24-2004, 17:15
Congrat's. Hope that takes care of it.

$180 isn't bad. I've done a couple and I don't think I would do it now for $180. They are a PITA!