PDA

View Full Version : Tranny temp question

Tony J.
04-28-2004, 06:59
So, I did a search about this topic, and found a wide array of posts about it. I installed mine yesterday in my 4L80E. I used the "test port" above the shift linkage on the driver's side of the tranny, as others on here have done. I took it for a drive last night (about 80 degrees outside, no load), and the gauge did move, but didn't go above about 150. So, I'm wondering if I'm going to get very accurate info from that sender position or not. Anyone have a comparison to draw from? I remember someone in one thread saying something about a "splash of fluid" in that spot- is this going to be reliable info?

Please share your thoughts/experiences!

Cowracer
04-28-2004, 07:04
Thats where I have mine. It only gets to about 150-160 unloaded. I did see a higher temp when pulling a 7800lb load.

I think its pretty accurate, I belive that fluid is pumped up to that port, and not "splashed"

Compared to the headache of installing a fitting in the pan, I'll leave it there.

Tim

CleviteKid
04-28-2004, 08:03
The test port sees the full pressure of the vane pump sending fluid to the various places where it is used. Definitely not a "splash" of fluid.

If you have a good oil cooler, and are not running under load, and mostly with the torque converter clutch locked up, you should see about 150F to 160F.

My 700R4 in my 1984 truck does run the ATF through the radiator tank, so it can actually pick up some heat even with the torque converter clutch locked. I think that the 4L80E installations did away with the cooler in the radiator, and just have a big air-cooler sitting in front of the radiator, hence low temperatures in the tranny if the truck is not working hard.

Dr. Lee :cool:

MTTwister
04-28-2004, 08:21
Hey Doc - my '96 still has the line out going to the radiator first, then through the cooler. I believe that's the flow path, but then I'm the idiot that said 'splash' tongue.gif

CoachWagner
04-28-2004, 08:53
Mines in the pan and I get the same reading you do.

Big Red Suburban
04-28-2004, 10:38
I installed mine in the pan as well. My temp is usually around 150 if I drive it long enough to see the temp rise (takes about 15 to 20 min of driving). Throughout the winter it rarely got above 145.

Dvldog 8793
04-28-2004, 11:10
Howdy
Mine is in the pan, I NEVER get above 150. Even when pulling a large load. Normal operation for me is around 125-140 depending on outside air temp. Once it gets to op temp then it doesn't move around allot. I run all synthetic and have an extra 2qt of fluid. I would say your temps are right on the money.
L8r
Conley

Tony J.
04-28-2004, 11:12
That's a relief- I wasn't looking forward to going back in and re-doing the sender.

We'll see how the temps look next week- I'm off to Kalispell for 2 mos. of living in my toyhauler.

MTTwister
04-28-2004, 11:23
Tony - Good thing you're not up here today - 31