PDA

View Full Version : 6.2 Tranny troubles

KillerBob
06-04-2008, 21:01
Hello all. I'm hoping someone can help my buddy out. He has a '92 1500 4x4 6.2. He got stuck awhile ago and since then his tranny often shifts at high rps, like 3100 or so. It doesn't seem like its slipping, it acts kind of like it's not reading the speedo when the output sensor is gone (happened in my '96 6.5) but the speedo works fine. We checked the wiring and the plug is in and everything seems to be in good shape and the tranny fluid is not too dark and it's at the right level. It seems to do it in every gear but gets better when it's warm and also once it's in gear it seems fine, it just revs to get there. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Robyn
06-05-2008, 17:29
Check for any DTC's (SES light on)

Pull up any stored codes and then we can go from there.

If there is an issue with a speed sensor there should be a code set.

The best way to check these is to hook up a scanner and run the truck and see what the ECM is calling for and then see if its actually happening.

Without some insight into whats going on its tough to tell.

best

Robyn

Flatlander6.2
06-05-2008, 18:18
I had the same problem on a 91 2500 with a 6.2 about a month ago. Got stuck and ever since, when the engine and transmission are warm, the transmission will kick in and out of overdrive at highway speeds, and shift erractically at lower speeds. The brake light on the dash also came on, not sure if its related or not. I am curious to know what you find. I have parked the truck for now for other reasons but want to know if the tranny is salvagable or junk.

KillerBob
06-06-2008, 09:29
We will try to scan it but the check engine light isn't on...thanks for the input.