PDA

View Full Version : Factory LB7 with the 6-Speed Allison?

More Power
05-30-2008, 12:38
I just spoke with a 2004 LB7 owner who ordered and received his truck in late 2003. It came factory-equipped with the 6-speed Allison. His owner's manual didn't include instructions for using the +/- rocker switch on the shift lever nor did the manual show the "M" position on the gear position indicator. His truck has both.

Anyone hear of this before? According to the stories we've done on each new model year, 2006 was the first year for the 6-speed Allison.

Jim

Jake99Z71
05-30-2008, 17:07
Have him send you some digital pictures to prove it. I've been around the Duramax since 2000 and never heard of a production unit like this.

More Power
05-30-2008, 22:55
We talked on the phone for quite a while, mostly with me asking questions about the 6-speed. I didn't believe it either, at first. So, I asked him what buttons were on the shift lever, then asked if his PRNDL included an "M". He didn't know what either the +/- rocker switch or the M was for till I told him.

He also said that he recently took his truck to the dealer to have the Allison serviced, including a flush. He said once the tech got the equipment ready, a more senior tech came over and said that Allison couldn't be flushed because the serial number indicated it was a 6-speed, and they can't be flushed - or at least not like the 5-speeds could.

I'd bet he was telling the truth. He is a subscriber, and I could ask for more info if it's important.....

Jim

AKMark
05-31-2008, 00:52
Maybe it accidentally got installed in his truck instead of the tester it was supposed to go in which was on the line right behind it.

Weirder things have happened. I had a guy at the motorpool attempt to tell me that a Medium duty international flatbed truck (18' bed) was rated only for 1/2 ton load, or at least that's all the license the military required to drive it. :eek:

Mark Rinker
06-01-2008, 06:40
Weird. Nice combo, however I wish I had a FLEET of LB7s with the factory six speed! I'll be he gets great mileage with that combination.