PDA

View Full Version : OPS Readings

JCM5
05-23-2008, 04:56
Replaced my OPS switch on a 96, what a pain.
I replaced it just for a piece of mind since I was having troubles with stumbling (replaced PMD as well).

The question is I went from 45 PSI to 70 PSI with different sendor. Checked all the wires twice, best guess is the sender itself. Im thinking about replacing it again but as most of you that have a 96 model year it is very difficult to get at.

So the question is, can you adjust the unit? Add resistors in the harness etc to compensate and have the dash gauge read correct. I dont mind replacing it if I get a correct reading the second time. Most likely not - or is their a brand out there that works more reliable.

Mine was purchased from AutoZone $20.00 - cant remember the name on the box.

More Power
05-23-2008, 12:16
I've always had better luck with OEM electrical parts, bought over the counter at the dealership. Auto parts stores don't always carry OEM or equal quality stuff...

The fuel lift pump in your 1996 (or newer 6.5) is powered by both the PCM and and the oil pressure switch while the engine is running, so even if the pressure switch inside the OPS failed, the PCM would still be powering the lift pump.

Jim