PDA

View Full Version : shelf life

Showgood1
05-20-2008, 21:04
I'm working on a 210 allis chalmers thats been sitting for about 3 years. There is alot of fuel left. I drained about a gallon and after the first cup full it looked good and red. I also put some in a glass jar shook it and it foamed up. I have been told that if there is a large amount of water in the fuel that it would be harder for it to foam. Then I left it setting still for the afternoon and did not see any water or anything else in it. Is it still good enough to use? It would cost me over 200$ for another tank of red diesel. Not to mention getting rid of the old fuel.

DmaxMaverick
05-20-2008, 21:32
If the fuel is clean and dry, use it. Your glass jar test is about the best you can do short of an analysis ($$). Install new filter(s) and use it. 3 years isn't all that old, anyway. Contaminated fuel can go bad in days, while clean fuel can be stored for decades. If you suspect any moisture at all (doesn't sound like it), leave the cap loose (not off) for a couple days in the Texas summer heat. In any case, it wouldn't hurt to use a good additive to absorb/disperse any moisture. In all likelihood, the fuel you have in that tank is better than any new you'll pump these days. Also, you can use alcohol to dry the fuel in those old tractors (more info on that, if you need it).

DieselMonk
05-28-2008, 15:33
I wouldn't be afraid using it. Dirt and water always go to the bottom. Let it settle out and pump from top. Once you waaay down the barrel, filter the rest out in a bucket. Same rules apply. That way you'll be using 199 gals from your 200 gal drum no problem.