PDA

View Full Version : Suburbans built in Mexico vs. US

dieselrealtor
04-27-2004, 17:53
does anyone have info about which (if either) is better built than the other.
:D

damork
04-28-2004, 09:38
Not sure on the GM units, but a survey completed a while back on a D0DGE forum (maybe the TD site) site a couple years ago showed a significant difference in quality between the Mexico and US built pickups - those from Mexico had far fewer quality problems.

DmaxMaverick
04-28-2004, 12:40
I've heard similar reports.

Seems that quality goes up when there is a true appreciation for your job. Americans seem to take it for granted, with unions and all....

dieselrealtor
04-28-2004, 19:19
Thanks for the responses, the more the better!

Perry
04-28-2004, 21:59
When I ordered my 99 Sub, I was hoping it was going to be made in Wisconsin like my 89. So I was at first disappointed when i took delivery and saw the "Hencho en Mexico" on the doorjamb. The build quality is pretty good with mostly good body panel gaps, no rattles, and the rig has been pretty reliable without any major problems so far.

I've also had two new Volkswagens made in Mexico. My 89 GTI was in the shop monthly getting just about every electronic component replaced, rattles fixed, but them it ran like a champ after that first year of getting everything fixed. My 95 Jetta was perfect from day one.

So I think its just the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get good ones, other times they are lemons, and it doesn't matter where they are made.

Perry