PDA

View Full Version : Huge Oil Loss

cwillis
05-13-2008, 12:21
so my coworkers told me about some oil that was leaking from my sub. I was thinking "yeah. its 24 years old, what do you want from me?"

i go loo kand one of the hoses that leads to the radiator (oil cooler i guess) was leaking from the fitting. . . I tried to torque it down a little. Then i topped off the oil (3 qts low!!!) and continue to drive to the gun store. . .

when i come out there is a huge puddle of oil. I fill her up again, torgue the fitting and go get alot of oil so i can make it home (15.5 miles).

long story short, i went through 10 qts getting home.

anyone have this problem?

also it seems that the routing is kinda weird in my sub. the hoses come out the drivers side of the rear of the block, and then inside the fan shroud and across the back of the radiator into the cooler. . .

can i just reroute the whole thing?

thanks
Chris

DmaxMaverick
05-13-2008, 14:11
DON'T DRIVE IT 'TIL YOU FIX IT!!!! That line may blow off completely. Most of the time, you can't shut it down quick enough before it's terminal.

Your line routing is normal. You can reroute it, but you'll lose some valuable cooling ability by removing the aluminum tubes from behind the radiator. You weren't clear on which part of the line was leaking. It could be a "typical" cooler line failure, or a fitting. If it's a fitting, remove it and have it repaired/replaced. If it's a line, you can repair it, or replace them with OEM or aftermarket (better).

cwillis
05-16-2008, 10:56
thanks . .

I was thinking about that cooling of the tubes . . didnt think it would make that much of a difference though. guess i was wrong. . .