PDA

View Full Version : Whew just got lucky

Mikeandwendy74
05-10-2008, 08:16
Well the other day I was driving along the highway, when one of the oil cooler lines (block side) popped off and blew all the oil right out of the block. I was quick to kill the motor when it happened, so i figured i might have gotten lucky. After a tow and looking close i could not believe what holds the cooler lines to the block. A small spring clip thats it. Whoever designed that clip to hold the line to the threaded hub in the block should be.@$#%. So I went to the hardware store and got some goodies. 2 3/8" close nipples to thread into the block. 2 90 degree elbows to thread onto those. 2 more close nipples, 3/8" for the outside of the elbows, this keeps all lines away from exhaust. I had some high pressure flex lines, which are 1/2" npt so i reduced them down to 3/8" with 2 reducing couplings.

I then ran these lines towards the back of the vehicle. these lines are aproximately 2 feet in length, so I used 7 to give me 14' of cooler line. Now i have not removed the original cooler yet, which i will do this afternoon, but I connected the lines so I have a 14 foot loop before the oil returns to the block.

I filled the motor back with oil crank, crank, crank it fired right up no problem and still runs excellent, actually you would never know it even ran without oil for a very very short time.

I don't plan on running the vehicle without the cooler but I am curious what you guys think about having that much distance between the block feed and return hole. Think I need a cooler or what? If I need the cooler installed I will definetely keep the lines going toward the back and install a big 12v fan to kool it down.

Thanks for looking any advice is appreciated.