PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning it up

stantjeeper85
05-08-2008, 13:18
Im soon going to be rebuilding the 6.2L out of my 85 c10 suburban. its got 235000 miles on it and this is its first rebuild. Theres a massive amount of gunk/oil/grime caked up on the block. What the best way to clean this up to the level of being able to paint it?

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2008, 13:29
Take it apart and knock off the big chunks o' grime. Take it to a machine shop and have it tanked and bead blasted. This will prepare the surface for painting, as well as reveal any flaws that may be hiding. Have it magna-fluxed while it's there. Same with the heads, if you are reusing them. This will reveal any hidden cracks.

stantjeeper85
05-08-2008, 14:29
Take it apart and knock off the big chunks o' grime. Take it to a machine shop and have it tanked and bead blasted. This will prepare the surface for painting, as well as reveal any flaws that may be hiding. Have it magna-fluxed while it's there. Same with the heads, if you are reusing them. This will reveal any hidden cracks.

Im not reusing the heads. Whats average cost of having all that done ?

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2008, 15:18
I have no idea. It's probably been 20 years since I've paid for it. Since then, I've bartered the jobs. It's not uncommon, so someone here should be able to ballpark a figure for you. When I last had it done and paid, it was about $50. Probably double that, or more, now.