PDA

View Full Version : Lift pump question

sturgeon-phish
01-17-2004, 06:03
Normally when cold starting I can hear my lift pump. A few times recently on cold starts, I've not heard it. A few times it sounds like it continues to run, well after starting and warm. What's going on??
Thanks
Jim

BUZZ
01-17-2004, 06:11
The lift pump should run when starting the engine and continue to run while the engine is running.
Stops when you shut down.
I will not run until you rotate the key to the start position.
Buzz

HowieE
01-17-2004, 14:19
Something I have noticed in cold weather. My block heater is bad so my early morning may require a second or third attempt. If I crank for a few second on a dead cold engine I build enough oil pressure to set the oil switch and the lift pump will continue to run after I have returned the key to the off position. Depending on the temperature the pump may continue to run for 20 or 309 seconds till the oil pressure drops below the set point.

rjwest
01-17-2004, 16:40
Howie , How do you get Torque Loc to work on 97. I had the high pressure shift mode set when i tried installing it.

HowieE
01-17-2004, 18:09
rjwest
Yes the BD Torqu Loc will not work on the 97 and newer transmissions. This is because the newer trans have as part of the program a test for slippage between the engine speed and the trans speed while in OD. If the computer does not see what it wants to it sets an 0742 code, runs the line pressure up to 140+lbs, limp modeand thus the harsh shifting. This problem will continue until you shut down for about 30 seconds and the computer resets.
I use my Torque Loc in a combination of auto and manual modes to overcome this.
The Torque Loc will work fine as long as the trans is selected to 3rd. I can accelerate and decellerate with the trans locking and nlocing at 33 mph. I will use it this way when on lesser roads were my speed will stay below 60mph.
On interstates I will manualy set the Torque Loc once my speed is above 55mph and as long as I do not decelerate below 45 mph and try to reacceleerate all is well. If I forget and drop below 45 and reaccelerate it will set the code and run the line pressure up.
It's not the greated system but I have to put up with it in order to have my exhaust brake work effectively.