PDA

View Full Version : which Duramax is best

coxfmly
05-06-2008, 17:31
I have an 84 sub and I'm thinking of going to a Duramax since the price of diesel has driven the trucks way down in calif. I have no idea which year and engine (?) are best and which one's I should I stay away from. I know the Fords quite well but the Cheyy's are a mystery. Also, what about the trans? I am looking for a quad cab and an auto trans. It will be used to tow a 5K trailer.

Thanks....

DmaxMaverick
05-06-2008, 17:44
Good question. CA is somewhat unique, when it comes to the Duramax trucks.

2001 is the only non-smog Duramax. The only exception to this is the GP system (I think CA's is better, less problems and easier to diagnose). 2002 got an EGR, vacuum pump, and cat. Federal trucks didn't get them until 2004.5 (LLY). This is something to consider, as they EGR is a PITA. And, you will be looking at older, higher mileage vehicles, and these items are going to need service ($$) soon.

If you are looking for and LLY, LBZ, or LMM truck, CA and Fed smog is the same, with the hardware. CA has some different software involved, but the difference isn't significant. The Diesels still aren't tested here, but that could change at any time.

Other than that, it's all about your preference. The later trucks added some nice features.

coxfmly
05-06-2008, 19:05
DmaxMaverick,
Are you saying that the 02 and later trucks need smog checks now?
I had no idea that they were going that far with Diesels in Cali. Then again, any way to tax us is good for the nuts up north....
So, should I look for a 2001 and stay away from the smog if it has low miles?
Is the smog check a big deal and would it be worth it if the engine were better?

Thanks for the information.

DmaxMaverick
05-06-2008, 19:51
No smog testing (yet...knock wood). 2002 and later only have smog equipment. The smog equipment is only a factor is it means something to you. To me, it is at least one more thing to go wrong, or get in the way.

coxfmly
05-08-2008, 07:33
DmaxMaverick,
Now I understand...
Would you by chance live in SoCal (O.C.)?
If so, would you know of a good diesel mechanic? It's tough to find an independant garage that works on the older trucks in my area.

Thanks again.......

DmaxMaverick
05-08-2008, 08:46
Sorry. Can't help with a garage in your area (mine either, for that matter). I'm located in the Sierras N/E of Bakersfield.

If you can turn a wrench, most all things can be handled in-house (so to speak) on the older trucks. The newer trucks (Duramax) are more sophisticated, electronic, etc. Either way, most things aren't too bad, and we are always here. If you have specific issues, just give a holler. My email is always open, or post a question on the forums. TDP Articles and Publications (http://www.thedieselpage.com/password.htm) are invaluable, as well. For newer vehicles, I suggest a subscription at www.alldatadiy.com. It'll have the complete service manual for specific models.

coxfmly
05-08-2008, 13:37
DmaxMaverick,
I do appreciate your time and the board has helped me out too many times to count.
The general mechanics of the truck I seem to have covered, its the gremlins that I could use another "ear" for. At times I have weird sounds upon start up that concern me.
I've gone thru the manuals and have checked every box but the "marbles in a can" want to hang around a little longer. I've changed most items from the I.P., Injectors down to the water pump and I can say I truly love this old truck. I guess I would like to have another diesel lover to take a listen every once in a while. I wish we had a rally once in a while. I use to go to car shows and rally's before the diesel days and I was able to learn quite a bit. I see the diesel trucks everywhere, but it seems no one is talking down here.
I know back east the diesel truck world is almost a religion. California just seems to be the anti-diesel state, only wanting to regulate and ban, Yep NRA member here :)

I might be very busy on the board very shortly. My son has a very clean 81 Chevy short bed 1/2 ton with a 305 ci motor. We have spent the last year or so rebuilding everything that moves and it only needs paint at this time. Problem is with the poor gas mileage.
Not too sure how much longer I can afford to have him drive this thing. I have an 85 sub with a new 6.2 N/A & 700R4 sitting in the wings. Runs great and gets 20-22 on the highway but the body is a rust bucket. No way this will ever be restored. My son is reluctant because he like the power of the gas engine. I tried to tell him the diesel will have plenty of power for the 1/2 t truck but he doesn't believe me, Kids.....

Thanks again for all of your help and advice...

More Power
05-13-2008, 11:42
My son is reluctant because he like the power of the gas engine. I tried to tell him the diesel will have plenty of power for the 1/2 t truck but he doesn't believe me, Kids.....

If the choice is between driving a diesel or not driving at all, I think I know what most teen boys would choose. ;)

Jim