PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs BIG HELP

UK Diesel
05-06-2008, 11:04
Hi Guys

When I got to work this morning one of my work mates wantted to see the engine running. When I opened the hood I noticed the top hose near the radiator had a bluge in it :eek:

The motor was still running and when I felt the hose it was very solid with very little give in it.

I let the pressure of and it filled the header tank up and when I pulled the cap off it was cominng out of the top of the rad for a second as well.

Once all the fun had stopped I topped the water back up and put the cap back on and all was fine, I left in running for a while and nothing. All was normal.

Tonight after work I drive her home with no probs at all, when I get home I open the hood and there it is again, a bluge in the top hose:eek:

I let the pressure of and it ran out on the floor and filled the header tank:(

I've phoned my mate Mark who I got the car from and he said it never used a drop of water in the 8 months he had it and the temp gauge never rose above the first mark on the gauge.:confused:

Since Ive owned it (2 weeks) I havent topped the water up as it was on the full hot mark on the header tank and the temp gauge was always just on the first mark as well.

When the engine is running with the cap off you can see the water flowing round and there doesn't seem to be any bubbles comming up :confused:

Have I got a head gasket gone ??????

Cheers and thanks for any help you can give

Craig.

convert2diesel
05-06-2008, 13:37
Craig:

You may have a couple of problems here.

1. With the engine cold, (first thing in the morning) remove the rad cap and fire up the engine. If there is flow immediately or shortly afterwards, before the engine has heated up, then indeed you have a defective thermostat and it should be replaced.

2. If your thermostat is ok then it is posssible the rad cap is wonky. It should hold at about 15 PSI, venting into the overflow over that pressure.

3. If your top hose is bulging, then it is time to replace it.

If all checks out and you still are getting bubbles and or high pressures, then yes you may have head problems. Check the easy stuff first.

Bill

UK Diesel
05-06-2008, 16:23
Craig:

You may have a couple of problems here.

1. With the engine cold, (first thing in the morning) remove the rad cap and fire up the engine. If there is flow immediately or shortly afterwards, before the engine has heated up, then indeed you have a defective thermostat and it should be replaced.

2. If your thermostat is ok then it is posssible the rad cap is wonky. It should hold at about 15 PSI, venting into the overflow over that pressure.

3. If your top hose is bulging, then it is time to replace it.

If all checks out and you still are getting bubbles and or high pressures, then yes you may have head problems. Check the easy stuff first.

Bill

Hi Bill

1. I'll check in the morning (Not sure if its even got a stat):rolleyes:

2. I've heard that if you shake a rad cap and it rattles its broke:confused:
I do know the rad cap thats on there is a 15lb one.

I'm going round to a mates workshop after work tomorrow night to put a headgasket sniffer on the rad so hopefully that will tell us more, We can also have a look to see if theres a stat in there. The top hose is one of those "one hose fits all" jobs so hopefully its just that:o

Thanks

Craig.

UK Diesel
05-07-2008, 14:11
Well I popped round to my mates workshop after work and he is about 95% sure its only the top hose that has gone weak and causing the bulge. So I'll order a new one tomorrow and hopfully thats that.;)