PDA

View Full Version : 98 k2500 6.5 5spd oil boil over

venturis_40
05-04-2008, 20:31
just bought 98 6.5 5spd k2500 on the way home i drove 200 miles at 78mph into wind

stopped at store to shop, hour later there was puddle of oil on ground (couple ounces)

drove another 50 mi and stopped at farm store to buy gear lube and allen wrench

had to sub in std 80-90, filled till a thin med-dk oil came out, did not smell like gear lube, added 1.33 qts

drove another 80 mi, let sit 1.5hrs

took off shift boot in cab, and crawled under with flashlight

breather hose is still attached and the oil is comming mostly down the drivers side of tranny

tranny was still very warm to the touch, warmer on top than bottom

where could this oil be comming from???

what could be the cause??

thanks in advance

trbankii
05-05-2008, 09:52
First thing is that if it is the NV4500 you don't want to put "plain" gear lube in the transmission...

What lubricant should I use and were can I get it?

Castrol Syntorq LT® 75w85w GL-4 rated, low temperature, synthetic gear lubricant is the only factory approved lubricant for NV4500 series transmissions. Some other lubricant manufacturers such as Amsoil may have products that are compatible. However, we have yet to see any other lubricant match the specifications of Syntorq LT®.

Castrol Syntorq LT® is available in quart bottles from Dodge dealers (p/n 4874459) and GM dealers (p/n 12346190). Castrol distributors offer factory sealed 16 gallon drums, plus some repackage the oil in 5 gallon pails.

You can get two-quart containers from places such as www.quad4x4.com

You mention the breather tube, but have you checked to see if it is plugged?

venturis_40
05-05-2008, 19:03
didnt think to check the breather for a plug

and i challenge u to find castrol syntorq in south dakota at 6pm on sunday

a5150nut
05-05-2008, 19:43
Don't run regulare gear oil and DON"T get it to warm!

Ask me how I know......http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=885

This is what you end up with. I'm at $1000 in parts on top of a $390 tow bill.

trbankii
05-06-2008, 16:10
and i challenge u to find castrol syntorq in south dakota at 6pm on sunday

I wasn't trying to imply that you were stupid, but using anything but the recommended fluids will damage the transmission as 5150 states. The issues with using other fluids is a well documented problem.

venturis_40
05-08-2008, 19:04
buddy ran cenex full synth 80/90 for 100k with no ill effects lots of pulling

tranny went 400k b4 going terminal from bad pilot brg

even then the only damage was to the front brgs and tip of the input

Hubert
05-10-2008, 13:57
buddy ran cenex full synth 80/90 for 100k with no ill effects lots of pulling

tranny went 400k b4 going terminal from bad pilot brg

even then the only damage was to the front brgs and tip of the input

In a pinch I have read top up with synthetic sae 30 engine oil instead of gear lubes but maybe 1.33 quart would be too much to top up.

I have had a rear end heat up too much and "boiled"? out the oil. I think they get too hot when low on fluid and its a snowball rolling down a hill affect just gets worse. I cleaned out the rest of that gear oil and refilled and it was ok.

After you check breather hose change out the fluid totally and run Castrol Syntorq or a HIGH quality synthetic. If you do decide to run another synthetic contact them and ask for their closest match to syntorq. Again it does make a difference read it several places. Also some stories of other good synthetics working ok too but why chance it.